5/19/13

Mack Ade - The Morning Report - 5-19-13


Ryan Nodes asked –
Hey Mack, I was taking a look a look at minorleagueblog.com and reviewing Matt Garrioch’s draft board to see where some of our draft picks are to see what type of players maybe around beyond just our #11 pick, which so much focus is on. Based on this draft board, I was doing a shadow mock for the Mets and here's what I put together.

#11 -  Austin Wilson - (JR) - OF (passing on Austin Meadows due to ETA & price tag)
#48 -  Matt Krook (HS) - P or Jonah Wesley (HS) - P (overslot)
#76 -  Matt McPhearson (HS) - OF or Kevin Ziomek (JR) - P
#84 -  Rowdy Tellez (HS) - 1B or William Abreu (HS) - OF
#116 - Ivan Wilson (HS) - OF or Keegan Thompson (HS) - P
#146 -  Stephen Gonzalves (HS) - P or Christian Arroyo (HS) - SS
#176 -  Anfernee Grier (HS) - OF
#206 - Mitchell Garver (SR) - C (underslot)
#236 - Buck Farmer (SR) - P (underslot)
#266 - Kayden Porter (Juco) - P
#296 - Kacy Clemens (HS) - P
#326 - Eric Garza (HS) - SS
#356 - Torii Hunter (HS) - OF (overslot)
#386 - Matt Boyd (SR) - P (underslot)

I had a hard time choosing between a few of these guys in the top few rounds, so I left options for now. I think Wilson would sign for slot money, but a few of these guys would be considered over slots likely, so I sprinkled in a few college seniors to save some money for these HS kids.

It's always fun to speculate and based on Matt's big board to guess who we could possibly draft at those slots, but I would be very surprised if I even got one of these selections correct just based on seeing how they've drafted in the past few years.

I was going for some upside players that might be a few years away, but mostly Of's and pitchers, since we don't have OF's and Pitchers make the world go round and round.

It would be interesting to do a mock shadow draft of your own and challenge the readers to do their shadow mock drafts as well.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Ryan (The Closer)

                Well, first of all, thank you for the hard work.

                I LOVE your draft and I’d take it in a New York minute. My thoughts:

                #11 – I’m sort of stuck of Wilson so I’m not moving off that pick unless either Appel, Gray, Bryant, Manaea, or Moran were still on the board.

                #48 – Remember now, all this is on who you have picked… I would go college with the first three picks regardless of who’s on the board. That being said, Krook projects as a big-time pitcher.

                #76 – You know I’m going to say Ziomek here. Even better, I would pick Rice’s Austin Kubitska.

                #84 – You have chosen two big-time high school bats here, though Abreu has fallen down this mock season. Still, I think he projects better than the one-dimensional Tellez.

                #116 – God, you love these high school kids. I’ll go Thompson.

                #146 – Gonsalves is a steal at this low of a pick.

                #176 and beyond –this draft doesn’t go this deep. Anyone beyond 150 is a fill-in roster pick at best, or a lucky pick by a scout that thinks he saw something everyone else missed (Robert Gssellman).

                

5 comments:

Charles said...

I'm confused about the mets' picks. Don't they get an extra second rounder because they didn't sign Teddy S last year? I

Charles said...

Oh sorry, I see now...

One in the 70s and one in the 80s....

The Closer said...

Yea, I guess I do have a lot of HS picks. Guys like Emanuel, Whitson, Thurman, Windle and Vaneges are all around at #48, but I was looking for upside and projection. I don't see huge difference between them and Ziomek, so I went HS.

I challenge some of the other readers to take a few minutes to do the same type of shadow mock drafts, even if its just he first few picks to get somewhat of a consensus to what we're hoping for.

The Closer said...

Yea, I guess I do have a lot of HS picks. Guys like Emanuel, Whitson, Thurman, Windle and Vaneges are all around at #48, but I was looking for upside and projection. I don't see huge difference between them and Ziomek, so I went HS.

I challenge some of the other readers to take a few minutes to do the same type of shadow mock drafts, even if its just he first few picks to get somewhat of a consensus to what we're hoping for.

Charles said...

After the last two mets' drafts, I consider it pointless to guess their picks....

They never pick the best player available. They make weird picks. They leaves better prospects on the table. Guys that are picked and immediately are ranked in mlb's top 100.

Sure, in 2 years Nimmo and Cecchini might be on that list, but it was a huge chance they took in grabbing them. Fortunately, I think this year will be different. I think the Bourn saga has forced them into a position where they need to make a safe pick. One that isn't a head scratcher...