5/5/14

Craig Mitchell -- Heavy Weight Issues

Ok, technically I am/have been part of the media for quite some time. While sensationalism has never been out of style, in this new era of political correctness it is going to a new level. We live in an increasingly “zero tolerant” society when it comes to being politically correct.  I don’t have to point out to anyone that one comment, one sound-bite; one email can change or ruin a career completely.  Just ask Jimmy “The Greek” Snyder. Ask Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld), ask Donald Sterling. It’s one strike and you’re out. The media is no place for bigots. That’s a good thing.

Now, some say that political correctness can be perverted to become censorship, controlling people, or an entire population into socially accepted compliance. Used in a scatter-shot way, I suppose that has merit. Over sensitivity or hypersensitivity would be a bad thing. We've already seen it. It’s all over social media. It’s very easy for people to adopt a flash mob mentality to stomp out what is viewed as socially wrong, insulting or offensive. A recent example was Julianne Hough who got labeled a racist for dressing as the character “Crazy eyes” from “Orange is the New Black”.  The ire stemming from the fact that Hough is Caucasian and the actress who plays Crazy eyes is black and Hough dressed in black-face to complete the look. While, not the most intelligent of choices, Hough being labeled a racist is a bit harsh and a good example of hypersensitivity.

So, why do I bring all this up? Because New York Post writer Mike Puma riled up the media, fans and the Mets when his coverage of the Mets 4-1 win over the Cardinals on April 24th highlighted and poked fun at the girth of Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon. The associated headline on the back page of the post was “Lardball”. I honestly can’t say I was shocked to see this.  Being overweight is one of the last bastions of discrimination that is being viewed as acceptable or at least amusing.

While uncommon for a person of girth to play at a high level in baseball, it’s not so uncommon in some other sports (Boxing, Football, UFC). But this kind of came out of nowhere. Colon has always displayed a good sense of humor pertaining to his size, but why the pile on mentality all of a sudden? Puma made a comparison to Colon and Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda. Pineda was ejected from a game this year for having pine tar on his neck. Puma joked that the only thing on Colon’s neck might be peanut butter. Sure, I can understand that this might have been an attempt at humor, but when does that overlap and become bullying. It does trickle down. Teens and pre-teens read the sports pages. What message does this send? Hey, its’ fine to tease or make fun of others for being overweight. It must be, it’s in the newspaper. It’s on TV.
I thought long and hard about writing this. Was I falling onto the side of hypersensitivity? Was I over-reacting? I seriously considered that. But ultimately, the Mets answered that for me when they banded together and refused to meet the media till Puma left the clubhouse. The Mets did what a team is supposed to do. They rallied around their player, their teammate who was being bullied and they rallied to support and protect him.

It also helps that I have seen firsthand why the media and athletes have a precarious relationship. Now, I don’t remember the date or team but it was in the early 90’s.  I was in the Met locker room after a tough loss. Sid Fernandez was brilliant that night. He allowed maybe 2 or 3 hits and was protecting a 2 run lead. In the top of the 8th, Sid
served a high fastball that got drilled into the Flushing night for a 3 run homer and the Mets wound up losing 3-2.  It was a game where Sid struck out like 12 or 14 and just looked amazing and that one mistake, that one high pitch cost him the game.  I remember being at Sid’s locker, he was sitting still half dressed, answering questions. I felt really bad for him. He left his soul out there on the mound as he pitched a monster of a game. It was a real masterpiece up until that homer.  Then a “unnamed” writer from a big newspaper who was standing next to me said this; “Sid, this happens time and time again with you. Why do you think you always give up the big hit and can’t protect a lead late?”  I remember it so clearly, I remember Sid, who was very soft spoken, took a deep breath and kind of released it and slumped down with a sigh…and started to answer to the best of his ability.

I was pissed. It was mean; it was like beating someone who was defenseless. I had seen that a hundred times in locker rooms. Beat writers cornering players and asking accusatory questions, downright insulting them in back hand ways. Perhaps I’m more a fan than a journalist, but still, it’s shoveling muck in my book. There are different ways to ask that question without pummeling a player who just left it all on the field. When Sid finished, I broke in. Now, up until that point I never had the balls to ask a question in the Met locker room. I wasn’t known well enough, but like I said, I was pissed.  I said to Sid; “Sid, that was an incredible effort out there tonight. What positives will you take from tonight’s performance and use in your next start?” Sid perked up and gave me five minutes of audio.

Later, that writer came up to me and said “No one wants to hear that crap.” Therein lies the rub.  It’s what sells papers that guides them. So, sure, stir up some controversy. Get people buzzing. Sell more papers. No harm, no foul.

Wrong. It’s just wrong. Now, to put it into perspective let’s change the focus of Puma’s article from poking fun at Colon’s girth, to poking fun at his racial heritage, his mental capacity, his religion. That would sell papers too, but Puma would be fired and the Post would be out of business. I just don’t blame Puma. Puma didn’t choose the headline. That was probably done by his editor. But I support the Mets in rallying to Colon’s side. Colon pitched his heart out and didn't deserve to wake up to see that headline and comment. But by my accounts, the Mets did right in this case and it was well deserved.

Now, I am now a person of sizable girth too. When I am insulted it’s usually the first aspect of me that comes under attack (Probably for Colon as well.) But I am buoyed by all the players of size who have and are playing the game today and yesterday; Cecil and Prince Fielder, Mickey Lolich, Jonathon Broxton, Tommy Hunter, Tony Gwynn and of course in his later years Babe Ruth.

(Writers note: when editing this article, spell-check suggested a correct spelling for "Lolich" was "Chocoholic" even Microsoft word is politically incorrect)


Obesity is an epidemic in the country and I am not supporting it as a healthy lifestyle. But, being a person who has battled it for my entire life it is not something simple awareness can change alone. It requires a change of lifestyle and diligence to master. Some of us succeed. Some don’t. Some yo-yo, some get fatter.  But, it should not be something that someone’s athletic talents should be judged on. Would Prince Fielder be the same power hitter if he lost 100 lbs.? Would Jonathon Broxton be as intimidating? We don’t know. So why judge? If an athlete is overweight and goes out and does his job, so be it. But I can tell you from life experience. He’s fighting two battles; one on the field and one at the table.

1 comment:

bgreg98180 said...

very well written Craig