5/27/14

Mets Minor League Report: May 26, 2014




MMLR Players of the Day: Savannah RHSP Kevin McGowan & Binghamton LHSP Darin Gorski

 Sacramento (31-20) slaps Las Vegas (32-19) 9-5.

Las Vegas loses their 4th game in a row to Sacramento, 6th in a row overall.

Greg Peavey (L, 0-2) was not on his game: 4.1 IP, 6 R, 7 H, (HR) 5 BB, 4 K.
Ryan Reid: 0.2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K.
Zack Thornton: 1.0 IP, 2 R, H, 2 BB.
Erik Goeddel: 2.0 IP, R, 3 H, 2 BB.
Buddy Carlyle: 1.0 IP, H, K.

Andrew Brown: 1-3, HR, BB, 2 RBI, 2 R.
Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-4, HR, 3 RBI, R.

 

Binghamton (28-21) stifles New Britain (20-28) 5-0.
Darin Gorski (W, 4-2) with a superb complete game shutout: 9.0 IP, 0 R, 2 H, BB, 6 K.
And on this day, the bull pen rested.

Kevin Plawecki: 2-4, 2B, R.
Dustin Lawley: 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, R.

 

St. Lucie (30-20) not scheduled.

 

 
Savannah (33-15) blanks Augusta (24-26) 2-0 in a rain shortened game .

 
Kevin McGowan (W, 3-1) had a spectacular outing, pitching what became a complete game when the umps called it due to rain: 7.0 IP, 0 R, 3 H, BB, 2 K. What has happened to Kevin McGowan? After a thoroughly forgettable season with Brooklyn last year (0-2, 5.28 ERA) and allowing 8 earned runs in his 1st three games this year, McGowan has not allowed an earned run in his last 5 games (32.1 innings, 0.93 WHIP) turning his season, and perhaps his career, around. Carlos Torres underwent a similar transformation last year.

Jeff McNeil: 2-3, BB, 2 R.
L.J. Mazzilli: 1-4, 3B, RBI.
Jorge Rivero: 1-2, 2B, BB, RBI.

















8 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Hey Herb. Good to see you in the daytime.

Ya know, I miss the comments you used to leave at nighttime.

Thank you for what you do here. I couldn't get all this done without your help.

Herb G said...

Hey Mack: You're welcome. I stopped entering comments at night because I thought no one saw them. Most commenters comer to the site early, and I never got any replies to my late comments. Its nice to know that at least you read them.

Mack Ade said...

You are sadly correct.

Tom Brennan said...

I love the minor league updates, Herb. Good job.

I know Brown is paying AAA pitchers off with that big league $$ he made. Not sure how else he has 10 doubles, 10 HRs and a .350 average in 29 games. Hmm, Chris Young...Andrew Brown...Chris Young...Andrew Brown - if I were John Sterling, and thank God I am not, I'd go for Dandy Andy.

I know PCL AAA pitching is a far cry from major league pitching, and I know I've made the case before, but I still think he is an upgrade. Andrew has in 29 games hit 10 doubles, 10 HRs and .350. If Andrew were the next Dave Kingman, whom many have vilified, I'd be thrilled.

I campaigned for Campbell this year...Andrew (if he keeps slugging) is my current campaign focus.

Platoon him and Dekker 50/50 and see what happens.

Mack Ade said...

Effective immediately, we are moving Herb's minor league updates to 9:30am every morning, just following my Morning Report... sort of a Lagares, Murphy 1-2 thing

Herb G said...

Thomas,

Thanks very much for your nice comment. Despite your ardent campaigne, I don't see Brown replacing Young. Hit or Miss Chris has a higher ceiling than Dandy Andy. It's not as if Brown is a kid who we don't know much about yet. Young is older than Brown (30 vs. 29) although Brown is greener than Young. (300+ MLB PA's to Young's 4000+) lol . . . The biggest problem is that Brown doesn't have anywhere near the defensive metrics that Young does. Also, Young has a couple of 5+ WAR years under his belt. So the hope has to be that Young gets himself into gear, and produces like he did in 2010 and 2011.

John Looby said...

Hey Herb, love your work. Long way from the minors here in Australia!!

Tom Brennan said...

Hey Looby, perhaps Mets can move their extended spring camp to Australia...they don't publish much on extended spring goings-on, so why not do it in complete secrecy half way around the world?

Herb, I hear the logic on Young vs. Brown. Good points for sure. As an underdog rooter, I'm still gonna campaign for Brownie, who had just another day at the office last nite (single, double, walk, 2 ribbies). What the heck. I wanna see power hitting Brown go Brown Town in the friendly confines of Citifield..