5/31/14

MLB Draft Insider - Mock



No. 01: Houston Astros
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Brady AikenLHPCathedral Catholic HS (San Diego)$7.9221M
I have gone with Aiken in five of my six mocks — all but the very first one — and I’m not changing now. He’s the best player on my board, and though I haven’t heard anyone with Astros say it, I think they feel the same way. The fact that they might be able to cut an under-slot deal and attack with their other day one picks isn’t a bad little bonus, either.

No. 02: Miami Marlins
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Carlos RodonLHPNC State$6.8218M
Would I take Rodon with the second pick? I don’t think so. Do I understand why Miami is very likely to if Houston doesn’t? You better believe I do. I’ve also heard Alex Jackson and Tyler Kolek connected with this pick.

No. 03: Chicago White Sox
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Tyler KolekRHPShepherd HS (Texas)$5.7125M
I wouldn’t call this a lock, but if the draft went this way, I would be stunned if Kolek wasn’t a member of the White Sox organization. If it doesn’t, I think they’d probably go Aiken over Rodon, with Aaron Nola a non-zero possibility.

No. 04: Chicago Cubs
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Aaron NolaRHPLSU$4.6212M
I’ve heard all sorts of names attached to the Cubs: Max Pentecost, Kyle Freeland, Michael Conforto, Bradley Zimmer, Nick Gordon, etc. At the end of the day, I think they go with the pitcher, but to say that I’m not sure is quite the understatement.

No. 05: Minnesota Twins
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Nick GordonSSOlympia HS (Orlando)$3.851M
The only other name I’ve heard associated here is Nola, and in this scenario he’s gone. If one of the “big three” fell they’d jump all over it, but the Twins have done as good a job as any team of recognizing value in the draft, and Gordon is very, very valuable.

No. 06: Seattle Mariners
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Alex JacksonC/OFRancho Bernardo HS (San Diego)$3.5759M
If this was to play out like this, the Mariners would likely be thrilled, as I’ve been told he’s the top name on their board. If he’s not there/the Mariners sour on Jackson for whatever reason, Sean Newcomb, Nola, and Grant Holmes could all be targets here.

No. 07: Philadelphia Phillies
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Sean NewcombLHPHartford$3.3009M
I think this is a slight reach, but Newcomb has been outstanding over the last past few weeks, and he’s definitely a fit for the organization. I think they’d also consider Bradley Zimmer here, and if Nola is still on the board I’d be stunned if he wasn’t the selection.

No. 08: Colorado Rockies
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Kyle FreelandLHPEvansville$3.1908M
The Rockies would not be thrilled with how this draft played out, as their top targets would be off the board. They’ve been linked highly with Freeland though, with Newcomb and Zimmer also possibilities.

No. 09: Toronto Blue Jays
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Trea TurnerSSNC State$3.0808M
They get two, and I think with one of those two they’ll take Turner. I’ll talk about the other options in pick No. 11

No. 10: New York Mets
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Michael ConfortoOFOregon State2.9708M
After taking high school players with their past few first-round picks, I’ve heard mostly college names attached, including Conforto, Turner, Newcomb and Zimmer.

the rest of the mock...  http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/05/the-mock-2014-volume-vi/ 

No comments: