2/16/23

Tom Brennan - These Five Simply Want It Very, Very Badly Because They Know They're Ready


Five Thoroughbreds Who Want It Very, Very Badly

As we enter spring training, guess who wants it very, very badly this year?

Mark Vientos - brought up by the Mets in the midst of a white-hot pennant race, he started out a frigid 1 for 18 as a Met, then hit 5 for his next 18.  He got a decent taste.  He knows he could have done better.   He worked hard this winter, seeing he is not in top 100 lists.  He knows he belongs in the top 100, though.  Did he tell me that?  

No.  But I know that is how he feels.  Why?  When the guy was hot the past two seasons in the minors, he launched HR balls at a tremendous rate.

 - He knows he is ready.  He wants it very, very badly, and he hopes to prove it this spring.

Francisco Alvarez - some people say he is baseball's overall # 1 prospect.  He can hit them inch for inch as far as Pete Alonso.  He rose through AA and AAA, and, brought up in a white-hot pennant race, he started out 2 for 12 with 2 walks as a Met, including a tape measure HR and a laser beam double.  He knows he is # 1.  He knows he has a rifle for an arm, and he knows he has improved as a catcher.   He knows he is the top dawg.  Did he tell me that?  

No.  But I know that is how he feels.  Why?  He tore AAA to shreds in September once he adjusted to AAA.  He knows he can hit the big league hurler contingent, too.

 - He knows he is ready.  He wants it very, very badly, and he hopes to prove it this spring.

Brett Baty - he is in the top 20 minor league prospects in baseball.  He went 7 for 37 in his inaugural debut in September, including a HR.  He had his taste.  He KNOWS he can play at the big league level right now. Did he tell me that?  

No.  But I know that is how he feels.  Why?  He was smoking hot for months in the minors, and has worked off his behind this off season to tighten his D.  He knows he can hit the big league hurler contingent, too.

 - He knows he is ready.  He wants it very, very badly, and he hopes to prove it this spring.

Ronny Mauricio - he played 169 games in 2022 and had 41 doubles, 30 HRs and 120 RBIs, with 30 steals.  His defense is starting to improve.  He likely could play 3rd or 2nd base competently right now.  He is coming to spring training a tall and fully filled in adult power hitter.  He most likely KNOWS he can play at the big league level right now. Did he tell me that?  

No.  But I know that is how he feels.  Why?  His 2022 marathon results show he is battle-hardened and durable.  He has yet to play AAA, of course.  But...

 - He knows he is ready.  He wants it very, very badly, and he hopes to prove it this spring.

Bryce Montes de Oca - 102 MPH, 17 of 20 in career saves, fanned 53 in his last 27 innings at the AAA and MLB level, and just 1 HR allowed in 90 pro innings, in what is clearly not a dead ball era.  Control was shaky at times but excellent in other outings, improving as the season went on.  He struggle a bit in his MLB debut, but fanned 6 in 3 innings.  He KNOWS he has climbed very fast in his 2 years in pro ball. 102 MPH fast, to be precise.  He KNOWS he can play at the big league level right now. Did he tell me that?  

No.  But I know that is how he feels.  Why?  He blows away with blazing regularity, and is a scary dude.  Dig in at your own risk, fellas.

 - He knows he is ready.  He wants it very, very badly, and he hopes to prove it this spring.

If I was the GM, I would feel fine with all 5 on my opening day roster.  I know they are ready.  I'd like to see them on the roster very, very badly.  Let's see what happens.

Edwin Diaz Quip:

Someone asked my favorite Met if he was adding a curve. He said no, he is staying with his fastball and curve and hoping to strike everyone out.

Well, he actually said it like this: “I will keep throwing my two pitches: my fastball and my slider, and keep striking out everybody,” Diaz said.

I added “hoping to”, he didn’t. (Smile)

Great Britton, anyone?

Saw this reported by MLB Trade Rumors folks:

Former All-Star closer Zack Britton is hosting a workout for six interested clubs today, tweets Jon Heyman of the New York Post. Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the Mets are one of the six teams in attendance. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic adds that the Angels, Giants, Dodgers, Cubs and Rangers were also in attendance.

18 comments:

bill metsiac said...

With those 5 on the roster, and a rotarion including Megill, Peterson and Lucchesi, the Syracuse Mets should absolutely dominate AAA.

And the 5+3 should all benefit from regular playing upstate rather than bench roles in Flushing.

Mack Ade said...

I can't support this irresponsible increased spending designed to increase taxes.

I am talking about baseball.

Let me ask you Tom...

do you support signing this closer or would you rocka with Oca?

Ernest Dove said...

I think nobody is giving enough credit to Mark Vientos. I hope he has a solid camp.

Anonymous said...

Wow,a Triple A powerhouse! Alvarez MVP,McGill Cy Young. Maybe Ramirez is promoted to play CF.

Mack Ade said...

And Pigs fly

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, I think Bryce MDO could be a closer at the MLB level by 2024. He is not ready, IMO, to close at the MLB level - if his control was better right now, possibly. But there is only one Edwin.

Edwin is ultra elite - he was my Mets 2022 MVP, ahead of Pete, Jeff, Lindor, and Nimmo. Without him, we win 90 last year. Momentum is big in baseball - he allowed the Mets to win close game after close game early and get into a dominant run.

Tom Brennan said...

Bill, I could personally give a hoot how Syracuse does, as I want those players in Queens. Syracuse might still flounder as the rest of the 26 man Syracuse roster may be weak.

Tom Brennan said...

Ernest, you and me are on board on Vientos - in both 2021 and 2022, he got off to slow starts, but after that in both seasons, the HRs were flying fast and furious.

Tom Brennan said...

Megill if healthy can be a very strong MLB starter. Alvarez, if allowed to play a full 2023 season with the Mets, would hit 20-25 HRs. Ramirez still needs to play in and conquer AA and AAA - I would be surprised if he shows up in 2023 in Queens - maybe in Sept?

Mack Ade said...

That wasn't my question.

In 2023, would you sign Britton or elevate Oca

bill metsiac said...

Just like the products of a non-baseball "farm", players need to "ripen" before they're ready to be picked. If we had holes to fill, then we can rush them. But we don't have holes right now.

If an opening arises and we need one of the kids, it will be time. Otherwise, let them get as many reps as possible at the plate and in the field

Tom Brennan said...

I’d elevate Oca if I felt he could throw strikes. Britton may not be effective if his velocity is diminished

Tom Brennan said...

Bill, AAA reps will only help all 4 of of our studs

bill metsiac said...

That's what I said. Glad you agree.

Tom Brennan said...

Except, Bill…I do think Baty, Alverez, and Vientos are ready for opening day. More AAA at bats if it goes that way will make them even better.

bill metsiac said...

They may well be ready, but if they make the OD roster 4 others may have to be cut or traded, and those others would be bench players.

I don't want these 4 to be on the bench here instead of playing every day upstate.

Anonymous said...

Anyone else believe in Vientos? Ho about he rocks this spring, takes aDH and LF gig and hits 25 hHRs and drives in 70.

Tom Brennan said...

I don’t know if Vientos gets that much play time under the best of circumstances in 2023 on this stocked offensive team