2/18/23

Tom Brennan - Two Pictures Are Worth a Thousand Words



Someone posted on Facebook a picture of the Mets’ most attractive fan of 1962.


Moving on to the present:

SNY had this great picture the other day.

What is the first thing that crosses your mind? 

Me? “Can’t wait.”


Ever since I was a win-starved Mets fan in the mid 1960s and read the Sporting News about a teenage righty who went an unconscious 17-4, 2.36 with 307 Ks in 202 minor league innings in 1966, I always loved the rising young wunderkind Mets prospect. Gooden, Seaver, Straw, Wright...

Let's see how the 2023 versions do. 

“HE CAN FLAT OUT FLY”:

One of the catch phrases of one Tim McCarver. “Requiesce in pace” to one of my favorite Mets’ announcers. Loved his reportage when Tim extolled the marvels of 19 year old Dwight Gooden. He’s calling games for the Angels now.

 


 

4 comments:

Gary Seagren said...

Tom I was a teenager in 60's and Marilyn's picture would certainly have gotten my attention oh how great were those days. I still haven't gotten my head around an owner who REALLY WANTS TO WIN! but I'm working on it. I wonder if you have any more info on Keith's signing? I can't imagine the booth w/o him. The dark Wilpon stain lives on unfortunately.

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, I personally was not interested in the Keith story, simply because I thought it would be INSANE not to re-sign him. When I was a kid in the 1960s, if the Mets had lousy broadcasters, instead of the great Bob/Lindsay/Ralph trio, I would have been a Yankee fan. They made a bad team exciting and interesting to me. Keith does the same now, with Ronny, Howie and others. It would have been almost as stupid as letting Edwin walk because he wanted too much $$. At some point, what makes a team great, whether hitting, pitching, OR broadcasting, you don't screw up.

Gary Seagren said...

Yes but the Wiponies keep trying anyway like when I heard SC's purchase didn't include SNY I thought oh no what are are those clowns going to screw now ugh.

Tom Brennan said...

The Ponzies