9/4/23

Tom Brennan - Home Run Machine


Pete Alonso is Our Reigning HR Machine (He Does Smile!)

But This Isn’t About Him (Mostly)

Pete Did Homer Twice Last Night, Now at 41 and 100! Wow.


But this article is (mostly) about DJ Stewart.

DJ had a lousy April in AAA Syracuse. Washed up? Nope.

From May 1 until his call up, he hit 14 HRs in 150 at bats. Nice.

As a Met, through Saturday, he hit 10 more in 94 at bats. Very nice.

Do the arithmetic…24 HRs in 244 at bats.

One every 10 at bats. VERY, VERY NICE.

My definition of Home Run Machine.

Career in MLB, DJ has 36 HRs, 94 RBIs in 625 at bats, which would make for a very nice full season.

By comparison, former Met Kirk Nieuwenhuis had the same career average and 31 HRs and 117 RBIs, but in 56% (373) more career (978) at bats.

DJ is superior, clearly.

DJ…and Pete…

I like Home Run Machines.

How about you?

That’s it for today, folks.

Go deep, and stay deep, my friends.


Well…before I go…back to Pete…

We wonder at times if Pete will stay, if he loves NYM.

How much the team loves him.

Seems the answer is yes, he wants to stay, as he amazingly just reached 40+ for the 3rd time in 4 full seasons. 187 career HRs, 480 RBIs, in 2,435 at bats. That’s not Ron Swoboda, folks. 

Ronny had 73 HRs and 344 RBIs in 2,581 at bats. Nice, and some incredibly key hits, but not Pete.

On the Mets site today, Pete waxes wonderment:

“It’s kind of wild to think about,” Alonso said. 

“Honestly, it’s kind of just happened so far. It seems like just yesterday I was in my rookie season. This is my fifth year. I mean, time flies. 

“It means a lot. This place has been extremely special to me. New York has treated me so incredibly well. … It’s been really awesome so far, and it’s a blessing for sure.”

10 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Gonna write a little letter, gonna mail it to my local DJ.

TexasGusCC said...

The #6 pick is not happening, so let’s just win them all. The Angels are tanking too well and the Cardinals barely win. You have the Royals, A’s, Rockies, and White Sox that have clinched the top four, and the Mets fighting the Tigers, Pirates and Padres. Just can’t see it.

Torn on Pete. Logic says to let him go; heart says to give him a five year deal at $25MM per year.

Mack Ade said...

DJ was a big time 1st round draft pick out of FSU

Late pro starter but he has the chops

The least he will be next year is the Mets OF4

Great sign

Mack Ade said...

You're going to let go the guy that has 4 of the top HR outputs in Mets history at the age of what 6?

Tom Brennan said...

I am inclined to extendPete unless we are overwhelmed with no doubt star prospects. Better than the ones we just got.

TexasGusCC said...

Mack, look at Pujols’ HR numbers after 32. Look at Miggy’s… I know he can still be productive, but how much so with a low average? I would only golfer him five years. I really didn’t want to give Nimmo 8.

Anonymous said...

DJ and JT two guys we might discover in what could have bean a lost season.

Mack Ade said...

Pete is not 32

Tom Brennan said...

Brother Steve weighs in: “HAVE to sign Pete”

Gary Seagren said...

For Pete sake yes and especially because of the DH for the later years and for continuity. I know it's a very small sample size but I love this team since Sept 1. I also never expected to get that lottery pick because you only get one in a liftime and we picked Seaver out of a hat in 66'. OMG can you even imagine if the Braves got "The Franchise".