2/25/09

Does Jake Ruckle Really Exist?

Those of you that are long term readers of Mack's Mets know two things... one, I can't spell and hate spellchek... and two, I've been a big fan of SP Jake Ruckle.

Well, even though I've written a lot about the kid, and did an interview with him recently, we still never have met. Every year, I come to camp and try and hunt him down and fail.

So, this year, I knew that the minor league players don't come out to play until after lunch and I headed over there as soon as I could break away from the scrimmage... you got it, Ruckle was done, back inside taking rehab, and, as any of you know, it's easier to break into Fort Knox than get in that building.

So,come Tuesday, I figure I'd get out there early and catch him as he came out the door. First out, as usual, was C Tony Maccani, who told me that, yes, Jake Ruckle is inside and will be heading out soon... 15-20 players come out... no Ruckle... Brad Holt runs back inside and confirms that Ruckle is alive and well, but still no sighting.

Then pitching coach Rick Waits walks over and tells me he will go inside and get him for me. Fantastic. There is a God (or, at least, a Rick)... I wait ten more minutes... 50 or so Mets come out... no Jake. Not even a Rick.

And then... the door opens...

And a security guard tells me that Jake is taking rehab and won't be out until 2:30pm, a half an hour after I was already leaving Dodge.

So once again, I head north, not knowing a few things...

1. why are there no baby pigeons ever in a park?

2. what exactly is "Canadian Food"?

3. What really happened in that desert near the air base out west?

4. And, does Jake Ruckle really exist???

Mack

No comments: