3/12/10

Mar. 12 ST Observations:

Mar. 12 ST Observations:


Strange day… 2 ½ hour trip to play Minny and twenty minutes after arriving, team was told game was called off.


Is it my imagination or where is Luis Castillo? Doesn’t he play second base for this team anymore? I would like to see a little more of him right now, especially since Jose Reyes is once again down for the count. I’ve been trying to find stats for ST, but I can’t find it on line, so I can’t confirm just how many at bats he has had so far this spring. Today, we were supposed to get Ruben Tejada playing second with Alex Cora settling into shortstop.


Here’s what I’m wondering about… with Reyes and Beltran out for, worst case, a month, the Mets have lost their converted leadoff man turned third batter, and cleanup hitter… so who bats where now? It seems to me most people would concede leadoff man to Angel Pagan, but I think Gary Mathews Jr. is winning that batter… so here’s what I see as an opening day lineup:


Mathews CF, Castillo 2B, Wright 3B, Bay LF, Jacobs 1B, Francoeur RF, Barajas C, Cora SS


So, if Jenrry Mejia stays in Queens as a reliever, how does the rotation stack up in Buffalo and Binghamton?


I’ve got the following on the board:


AAA: Dillion Gee, Eric Niesen, Mike Antonini, Fernando Nieve, Ryan Coutas, and Dylan Owen


AA: Brad Holt, Scott Shaw, Scott Moviel, Jeff Kaplan, and ???. My belief is Tim Stronach is in rehab and Josh Stinson and Brant Rustich are now in the pen… that leaves Stephen Clyne, Nick Allen, or one of the dudes signed this past two weeks.


Lucy is set with Robert Carson, Jeurys Familia, Eric Beaulac, Kyle Allen, and Chris Schwinden


Savannah is loaded with Mark Cahoon, Brandon Moore, Collin McHugh, Lance Hoge, James Fuller, and Michael Hebert.


The AAA problems is the outfield. Options are Chris Carter, Nick Evans, Mike Hessman, Lucas Duda, Sterling Award winner Jesus Felicano, and Fernando Martinez. At best, there is five positions here with F-Mart and Feliciano locked in on guaranteed contracts. Now, Carter has a singed one year. I think Chris will make Queens as the 5th outfield for the first moth, sending Evans down to AAA. Then what? Guess hessman and Duda fight it out for 4th outfielder and the other prays they carry five.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

antonini to buffalo..

niesen belongs in Bing AA

Unknown said...

AAA: Nieve is out of options, Niese is not. I think the fact that both are recovering from injury factors..Hessman i think is your primary AAA 1st baseman, Nick Evans 1B & 3B with Bowman logging time primarily at 3B. agreed I think Chris Carter is a big factor in the ML thinking.

Question is there a trade still to be made?

Hessman, Carter, Murphy, bowman, Evans, and several others, I think are candidates for trade.