3/9/10

Pelfrey's OK, Pedro, Kazmir, No Contacts... and Straw on Jenrry

Pelfrey's OK:

Mike Pelfrey just wrapped up his bullpen and gave the thumbs-up for his Thursday start against the Red Sox at Tradition Field. Pelfrey is still receiving treatment for the bruised right knee from Saturday's line drive, but he says it's fine. Just to make sure, pitching coach Dan Warthen surprised Pelfrey by stepping into the batter's box - and smacking him grounders between pitches - link









Pedro:

The Cardinals maintain interest in John Smoltz, but do not presently have a spot for him and cannot offer him a salary he would deem appropriate, according to a source with knowledge of the club’s thinking. The Phillies maintain interest in Pedro Martinez, but first might need to add a reliever if closer Brad Lidge and left-hander J.C. Romero are slow to recover from their respective elbow surgeries. The Cubs, who currently are scouting the Cactus and Graperfruit Leagues for a setup man, would be interested in both Martinez and Smoltz “down the line,” according to a major-league source. The Dodgers, in need of a starter, also could emerge as a possibility for both pitchers. —  link




Kazmir:

Scott Kazmir - already armed with a 94-mph fastball and a well-regarded slider - went back to work to bolster his overall strength to get more pop and consistency with his pitches. “I felt like my velocity was kind of touch and go,” Kazmir said. “It was there, it wasn’t there. “I changed quite a few things in the off-season by how I approached my workouts and prepared for this season. I’m a lot stronger, I’m more focused. It’s going to help me out repeating my delivery, getting more torque, more strength, have a little bit more on my fastball.” Kazmir said “it’s not like I never did anything during the off-season, I worked out. But nothing like this, nothing where I was really on a strict regimen every single day.” “Sometimes I’d do almost two [sets] a day, where you’d go in the morning, get your workouts done, and next thing you know a couple hours later you’re out on the track doing mobility” workouts again, he said. All of them “strengthen your delivery. It makes pitching so much easier.”  - link

No Contacts:

Closer Francisco Rodriguez returned to the Mets’ clubhouse, no longer contagious with pinkeye. After being sequestered for a week, K-Rod said he’s “feeling much better.” Limited to playing catch with his brother, Edward, who has pinkeye in both eyes, Rodriguez insisted, “I’m not behind at all.” Rodriguez won’t be able to wear contact lenses for a month, going back to his old-school wrap-around goggles - link

Straw On Jenrry:

Strawberry to MLB.com: “You know how something happens every spring that no one expects? I already know what it is this year … that Mejia kid. Did you see him today? Awesome. That ball cuts. It’s natural, too. I honestly can say I’ve never seen anyone else throw a pitch like that except for Mariano. He’s got a natural gift. What an arm!”

Strawberry to the New York Daily News: “I went to Omar and told him, ‘You’ve got to make this guy a closer.’ I’d definitely put him in the pen this year, I don’t care if he’s only 20. He’s got a pitch that guys can’t hit. He’s the only guy I’ve ever seen that reminds me of Mariano Rivera. I’m telling you. I played with Mo, I saw it up close. I know what his cutter looked like and I’m telling you, I haven’t seen a pitch move like his, with that kind of velocity, until I saw this kid Mejia.” - link

No comments: