3/12/10

Ruben Tejada, Pelf, Class of 2011, Curse of 2006... and Mets Will Be Fine

Ruben Tejada:

Mets GM Omar Minaya suggested Thursday that 20-year-old Ruben Tejada could open the 2010 season as the Mets' starting shortstop. The Panama native hit .289 with five homers and 46 RBI in 488 at-bats with Double-A Binghamton last season and told the New York Daily News that he won't be overwhelmed by the bright lights of the big leagues. "It's baseball," Tejada said. "Everywhere I play the game normal. I'm ready for everything." Alex Cora is another option to fill in for injured starter Jose Reyes, but Mets manager Jerry Manuel seems keen on giving the rookie a shot. - link

Pelf:

Pelfrey allowed three runs on four hits in the first inning and then retired the final six batters he faced. He finished with four strikeouts. It came five days after Pelfrey took a Cristian Guzman line drive off the knee while facing the Nationals.  Pelfrey termed his stuff "a lot better" than his start against Washington, when he allowed three earned runs on seven hits over three innings.  "I would still like to get more sink on my sinker," Pelfrey said. "It seems flat and there were a couple of balls I left up, but it's definitely a big improvement." - link

Class of 2011:

And right now, when the Mets once again could use a farm system to serve as a reliable feeder to fill holes, there was Minaya saying, in essence: “Thank God for Ruben Tejada.” Somehow, a year after a lack of depth submarined the season every bit as much as a crowded DL, we are right back where we started with the Mets. Still, some of it is just lousy luck. You can cook up whatever sinister back story you want about how Reyes’ thyroid problems surfaced; for now it seems he either contracted a virus or ate the wrong food. That’s bad luck. However badly the Mets botched Beltran’s knee after the fact, it’s a blow when your franchise cornerstone loses huge chunks of two seasons with that kind of injury. That’s bad luck, too. link

Curse of 2006:

Whether you were there, watched it or only heard about it, think how improbable a win it was for the Mets down two in the tenth inning of that ballgame? If Fangraphs were around the win probability for the Sox was 99.99 in my humble unscientific opinion. Somewhere, someone made a deal with the Devil. Maybe it was one of the players or coaches. Perhaps a fan with supernatural connections said “give me 86′ and I will give you this teams history.” Heck, I will even call Bill Buckner a suspect at this point. It’s the only way to explain Terry Pendleton, Mike Scioscia, the Worst Team Money Can Buy, Generation K, the Subway Series, Yadier Molina and 2007. Those are just a few examples, of course, since I could go on. - link

 Mets Will Be Fine:

Believe me, I'm frustrated as well about Reyes. I just want him to be healthy for once. It's been way too long since we last saw Reyes chugging around the bases. I mean, I can't imagine how Reyes feels right now about this situation. However, I think the Mets will be fine without Reyes if he does indeed start the season on the DL. Alex Cora was brought in for this exact situation as Reyes's back-up.- link

No comments: