3/16/10

The X Factor, 7-pitch K-Ro, Silve on Class Of 2001, Sanatana... and No Money in Baseball, Huh?

The X Factor:

Maine has had excuses before and to be honest, a few injury issues that made me anxious to ship him out over the past two years. When that Corey Hart deal with Milwaukee was being discussed, I have to admit I got giddy. It’s my contention that he needed to be moved while he still had some value, after very surprising 2007 and 2008 seasons. On August 4, 2008, Maine was put on the disabled list with a strained rotator cuff, then had shoulder surgery to remove a bone spur, then in 2009, he dealt with arm fatigue and multiple setbacks that limited our rotation. He went more than 5 innings once that year. -  read more here...






 7-pitch K-Rod:


Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez needed seven pitches to complete a perfect inning in his spring debut today.

“My location was perfect,” said Rodriguez, sidelined by pink eye earlier this spring. “I had good command on my breaking pitches. I felt good out there. If I could do that the rest of the year, that would be nice. I was aggressive today, and that’s my goal, to go out and attack the strike zone and put them away as quick as I can.”  - details on F-Rod:... 

Silva on Class Of 2011:

Davis, Martinez, and Mejia have all been impressive so far. By all accounts Martinez is ticketed for AAA. The Mets could use all the offense they could get so does it make sense to send one of your best hitters down, assuming he is ready to replicate the performance once the bell rings? I say bring the best 25 men north as long as it doesn’t hamper their development. In the case of Martinez I don’t believe starting everyday in the big leagues would do that. If Martinez in center and Pagan on the bench provides the best results, even in the short term, than the Mets should give it a try. - read more stuff...

Santana:

The New York Mets' Johan Santana resembled the pitcher on Sunday whom many have called the premier left-hander in the game for the past six years. Santana pitched four scoreless innings against the Florida Marlins, allowing three hits in his second spring training start since undergoing surgery on his left elbow in September. Santana left a scoreless game before the Marlins did all their scoring in the fifth off John Maine in a 5-1 win. "I was able to throw all my pitches. I was more consistent keeping the ball down and throwing the ball better than last time," Santana said. "The most important thing is I don't feel anything in my elbow." "He looked today just like he's looked his whole career, locating all of his pitches when and where he wanted to," Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla said. "He's back to his old self."  - 
more on Carlos...err... Johan

Mo Money In Baseball, Huh???

Major League Baseball should see attendance exceed 3 billion in total attendance by the end of the year from 1901 when the American League and National League merged based on data provided by Major Leahie Baseball. To date, the American League has seen 1,423,467,406 while the National League saw attendance of 1,505,684,436 for the same period, for a Major League total of 2,929,151,842 from 1901 to 2009, just 70,848,158 short of 3 billion. Last season, which was the 5th highest attended on record, MLB saw total attendance of 73,367,659. - give me a fuking break link

No comments: