10/20/10

Cutnpaste: - Wally Backman, K-Rod Quote, The Perfect DH, Pete Rose, and Javier Rodriquez


Wally Backman:



Finally, those Met fans who would love to see Wally Backman as manager in 2011 may have gotten a boost on Tuesday with the selection of Mike Quade to go from interim to permanent manager of the Chicago Cubs. G.M. Jim Hendry is not in the strongest of positions after the Cubs’ washout in 2010, yet he selected a career minor-league manager to run his club – as well he should have. - CBS  




Michael G. Baron
 K-Rod Quote:



"I am responsible for my injury that occurred as a result of this incident and prevented me from finishing the season with the Mets," Rodriguez said. "I do not feel it is right for me to take a salary for the period of time in which I could not contribute as a player as a result of my off-field actions.


"I want to put these issues behind me and behind the organization and its fans. I want my focus to be on my family, my team and being the best closer in baseball in 2011."


"I have worked hard since the incident to make myself a better person and member of this organization," Rodriguez said. "I feel that anger management counseling is undoubtedly making me a better person and a better father, and will make me a better teammate and member of this great organization." - NYP  




Michael G. Baron
 The Perfect DH:


Here again, we almost exclusively find first basemen and corner outfielders. Almost, because Jorge Cantu tried really hard to make this list. Note the following: Ryan Braun, who was untenable at third, is almost unplayable even in left. Ditto with Miguel Cabrera, substituting first base for left field. Chris Davis, Jason Bay, Corey Hart and Aubrey Huff also are borderline unplayable in the field, assuming that you have another option who can play at replacement level. We also find old/aging/injury-prone players like Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko and Carlos Pena. These hitters should probably be DH-ing just to keep their health/longevity in check. - HBT  



Pete Rose:



Baseball's hits king told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday that it's taken him a long time to realize what Giamatti wanted when he gave Rose a lifetime ban for betting on baseball in 1989. Giamatti urged him to "reconfigure" his life.


"I'm kind of a hardheaded guy. That's probably the reason I got all those damn hits," Rose said. "It took me years to figure out what he was saying was to step forward and 'fess up and take responsibility for what you did. In the last several years, I finally get it. I understand." - SI  



Javier Rodriquez:


10-18-10 from: - http://www.metsminorleagueblog.com/2010/10/18/q-a-with-espns-jason-churchill - The Mets believe they are starting to see results of the tools they drafted. They love his loose, quick swing and power potential and trust that he’s starting to put things together. He’s a player I have not seen myself, but the Mets tell me he has above average tools across the board but that the power potential is what will carry him. One team official said he feels Rodriguez just needed time to get comfortable and that the kid reached that point in ’10. The club may get aggressive with him if he starts off quick in 2011, too, to keep up the momentum.

No comments: