10/24/10

Q&A: - SP - Robert Carson, ST, and Ebay Hounds

Mark to me: - Nice job on Carson. I was at spring training for two weeks this year and Carson was by far the most intriguing arm I saw. I think he has the stuff to succeed in the majors. For him it's more about getting consistently mentally prepared for every start. I don't think he is as much of a head case as Mike Pelfrey. He is the one pitcher in the Mets system that I could see making great strides and perhaps contributing to the Mets at some point soon. Any chance may be we could get some kind of fan petition going to have the Mets make spring training more fan friendly? I was disappointed that the Mets took batting and fielding practice before the stadium opened or under the bleachers so all I got to see when I was there was the other team warm up. Also the minor league side was closed to the public after the first weekend I was there. I actually enjoyed watching the minor leaguers for those two days more than the major league players for the next week and a half.

As far as first baseman in Mets system what is your take on when players should be moved to the position they are most likely to play in the majors? It seems that the Mets, with the exception of Reese Havens, have a tendency to wait until AAA to even consider moving players to new positions.

Thanks, as usual, Mark:

Re: Carson: - first of all, Mark, don't look for increased velocity here. Carson  hits 92 and that's about it.

His problems are control and emotions. I have no prediction on how he will progress, but, most past pitchers with both these problems eventually go away.

Re: Spring Training:  Ya know, I'm not sure who is in charge of that. It can't be a General Manager thing, and the Mets have always limited the fans ever since the Ebay hounds have ruined it for all the kids.

I can't tell you how rude some of these people are.

My best story was three years ago when I was BSing with the guard at the gate in front of the Mets locker room. David Wright was signing autographs for people inside the gate while the people on the other side were begging for David to sign their glossy pictures that obviously would be sold on Ebay the next day.

Howard Johnson walked by, heading from one of the fields to the pitching warm-up mounds outside the clubhouse and some 70+ Long Island dude yelled out to him:  "HEY".

HoJo turned, even though the person didn't say either "oh, Howard", "HoJo", or "Mr. Johnson"...

The dude held out a baseball in the direction of Johnson and yelled out "GO GET ME AN AUTOGRAPH FROM WRIGHT"...

Howard looked at me, shook his head, and walked away. I laughed, and the dude said "WHAT?"

Re: Moving positions: -  In my opinion, get their bat down first and then begin to move them when they reach AA. Double-A is where you find the majority of ballplayers that you someday are going to play against  if you make the big time.

No comments: