10/4/10

Q&A: - RP - Roy Merritt

Mack:  Good morning everyone. Today we're talking to Mets relief prospect, Roy Merritt.
Good morning Roy. .

Merritt:   Good morning Mack .

Mack:   Roy, you were a 29th round pick by the Mets in the 2007 draft... take us back to that day and tell us what it was like? .

Merritt:   It was a couple of weeks after I moved back to Houston from school in baton rouge, and I was still getting situated in my grandfather's house whom passed away in February of 2007. So, my mind really wasn't on baseball or the draft when I received the phone call. I actually told them to stop playing on my phone and I hung up the phone.

Mack:   Roy, you wasted little time in 2007, reporting to Kingsport, and blowing them away (1-2, 2.88, 17-appearances)... was the conversion to a day-to-day grind a big change for you? .

Merritt:  It wasn't too big of a change. We were blessed at Southern to have coaches that pushed us physically as well as mentally. I'm pretty sure Emary Frederick would tell you the same. I think the biggest change for me was learning not to overworked myself on the day-to-day grind .

Mack:  You're right. BTW - I stay in touch with Emary... hope he rebounds in 2011 both in baseball and life.  2009 brought you 56 appearances (3.45) with Binghamton, plus 14 saves. It looked at that point that the Mets were grooming you for the closer role, but, in 2010, you went back to the B-Mets (60 appearances, 3.86, 9 saves) as mostly a middle and 8th inning guy.
Do you have any idea what your future role will be in 2011?

Merritt:  I have no idea what my role will be next year, but I hope its a role that will best prepare me for the next level. I can only thank the 2010 season for preparing me for every role. This year I was put in every role except starting. It was a challenging year for me because I couldn't prepare myself for any particular role.

Mack:  Every player, especially pitchers, need to know what their role is... but, that's just me.
Anyway, you have excelled at every level from rookie to AA... and now, it's probably on to a full season at AAA. That being said, you'll have new pitching coaches and the right kind of start in spring training could turn your season into the way Jenrry Mejia started out this year. Is there anything special you plan on doing to prepare yourself for your most important season to date? .

Merritt:  It does seem to be better when players have roles. Mejia had a great spring training and season this year and is a hard worker. I don't have anything special. I just want to continue to work on throwing more quality strikes with all of my pitches, work on my k/walk ratio, as well as being a better student of the game. I want to improve in everything.


Mack:  Roy, you definitely seem to have your head on straight. On a personal note, I've been a big fan of yours and I look forward to you making your way to Queens, hopefully, by the all-star break in 2011. Git it on, son. .


Merritt:  Thanks for all the support Mack. I will work hard and prepare to get there; hopefully I'm blessed with an opportunity of playing at that level.

Old Roydrick stuff:

A local article written prior to the draft: Roydrick Merritt, a second team preseason All-SWAC selection, pitched a seven-inning two-hitter with six strikeouts and held UAPB to a .091 (2-for-22) batting average to lead Southern to a 6-1 victory in the first game. The hard-throwing left-hander from Houston only gave up two walks and held the Golden Lions scoreless until Jeremy Davis’ RBI double drove home Scott Donaldson in the bottom of the fifth. “I really didn’t try to overpower them today,” Merritt said. “All I wanted was to go out there and throw strikes. I wanted to hit my spots. Merritt is 6-1 with a 3.20 ERA, five complete games (all seven-inning games), one save and 48 strikeouts to 24 walks. He was the winner a year ago as SU opened the SWAC tournament with a 10-6 win over Alcorn, going five innings and allowing five runs (four earned) and seven hits. He struck out five and walked one.



In 2006, he pitched 44 innings, gave up 50 hits, and struck out 44 batters. His college teammate was Savannah’s Emery Frederick.


The Mets drafted Merritt in the 29th round of the 2007 Mets. He played the 2007 season for Kingsport, pitching in 17 relief appearances and posting highly respected stats of 1-2, 2.88, 1.12.


In 2008, Merritt pitched a combined 3-0, 2.16, in 31 appearances for Brooklyn and St. Lucie.


In September 2008, Patrick Hickey wrote on: Roy Merritt- Much like Johnson, Merritt exceeded expectations and showed remarkable poise out of the pen. That, combined with a slider, with movement that can only be compared to a Frisbee, Merritt figures to be a pitcher worth watching next season. Considering the fact that he was drafted by the Cardinals in 2005 as a center fielder, it’s amazing how far he’s come in such a short time. - Final Grade-A+


March 2009: Pat Hickey Jr. on: Roy Merritt, who is still developing his secondary pitches to compliment an excellent slider and a average fastball, is still finding out what he needs to do in order to be successful. In just a third of an inning of work, the lefty-side-armer has given up three runs and two hits.


2009 was a mixed year for Merritt. He was on the fast track out of spring training and actually stood a chance to make it to Queens on a September call-up; however, a hot start turned cooler later on in the year. AA stats: 4-5, 3.45, 1.48, 14-Sv, 56-K, 56-G, 62.2-IP.


1-1-10 Forecast: A lot more was expected of Merritt this past year. The Mets brass fell in love with him in spring training and everyone expected him to be a September call up. He has ++ talent and could make it there by the end of this year if he aces AAA.


9-30-10  - 2011 Forecast  - I still remember the 2009 spring training, when Merritt was invited to the parent clubhouse to pitch in one of the first exhibition games. Certain Mets brass were predicting he would be in Queens by the end of the season. This probably was the worst thing to happen to Roydrick because he was far from ready. Two decent seasons at AA (2009: 56 appearances, 3.45... and 2010: 60 appearances: 3.86) should have him ready for the last big hurtle in 2011. Watch for Roy to light it up in ST and make it interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SBig bro do your thing strike all the batters you face out I love you keep getting stronger