11/23/10

Quick Met Links

Over at XM Radio, Paul DePodesta is about to make an appearance with Jim & Kevin on MLB Network Radio.

The MLB Network (TV) is about to re-air the "Baseball Seasons" episode focusing on the 1969 Mets team. It airs at 2pm EST / 11am PST.

I guess it's just a "Mets kinda day"...

From DePo on XM (I tried to type as fast as he spoke- it wasn't easy!!)

On Collins: He's relentless. He never stops. The players respect him for it. We trust it'll translate into the major league job for the Mets.

On his role in the managerial search: In some respects, because of his prior attachments, he was even harder on Collins because he wanted to get to know all of the other candidates. Chip Hale was tremendous...I believe he'll be a successful manager one day...I'm excited to work with Wally Backman and continue to learn from him...at the end of the day what separated Terry for us was that he was really a blend of what the other candidates brought to the table... When you can take someone who is familiar with the players and the front office, that really gives us a head start on things... The job that Collins has done the past 12 months as field coordinator did far more for his candidacy then anything I could have said for him... I told Terry that I wished I could tell him something different, but he's the one who got himself the job, I didn't have to do anything for him... He's someone the fans will identify with and he'll bleed along with them and I think the fans will respect him for that...

On his career: It was difficult in that I wasn't looking to leave San Diego...they have a lot of good things going on there...I was learning a lot about the business side...what made it easy to say "yes" was the combo of Sandy and New York...I spent most of pro career out here in California but my family is in Connecticut and I was born in Philadelphia and raised in Washington, DC and consider that area home... To be able to compete in an area like NY is too alluring... Someone with Sandy's rep comes along and asks you to be part of his team, it's too hard to say no. It's a bit of a different role for me, but something I'm excited about.

On his role: Title is VP-Scouting. Will be involved in all player development and scouting work- domestic and international... Sandy believes in organizational consistency and process. I've always been heavily tied to process- it's really what I've done. It's what I'm here to help instill- consistent processes from Latin America thru the big leagues... I'm there to ensure we're all pulling on the same end of the rope and doing things the right way.

On Mets Minor League System: I think the system is a little better then people give it credit for. Ultimately what it's about is producing big leaguers. I think the Mets have done a good job of that. Guys like Ike Davis, Josh Thole, Jon Niese, Bobby Parnell, those are homegrown guys playing key roles- there's something to be said for those guys... The Mets have done a great job internationally w/ a handful of great prospects from Latin America... They went a few years w/out a first round pick, but did a good job grabbing Pelfrey and Davis with recent first round selections... Reese Havens performs really well when healthy... Going forward we will be aggressive in scouting and signing players... I've always been one to be aggressive on draft market domestically and internationally.

Listening to DePodesta is refreshing, as he's not only well-schooled in sabremetrics but also is simply a "baseball guy who eats, sleeps and breaths the game. Excellent interview.

Sandy Alderson will be on XM soon as well. ****2:30 EST / 11:30 PST!!!!***

No comments: