1/2/11

Cutnpaste: - Josh Thole, Sabernomics, John Milner, Mo Vaughn, and R.A. Dickey

Michael G. Baron
Josh Thole:


A year ago, many within the organization might have answered this question with an unequivocal "No." But Thole has since displayed a remarkable aptitude for contact hitting at the big league level. If he can develop some power to go along with it, Thole could become one of the game's better offensive catchers. Helping his cause is the fact that Mets pitchers and coaches alike have raved about the natural infielder's improvement calling games behind the plate. In 2011, Thole will have every chance to prove he's capable of being the long-term guy. It's his job to lose. -

mlb  



Sabernomics:

Well folks, I’m afraid it’s come to an end. What started as an experiment nearly seven years ago became more than I anticipated. For the past seven years I’ve had a place to explore my whimsical ideas on baseball in public, and I’ve enjoyed having the outlet. The New Year offers a good time for change. My work responsibilities are expanding, and I’d like to drink my morning coffee without my hands on the keyboard. I still have Twitter to pass on links and opinions, and that’s all I want to do for a while. My research continues, but I won’t be blogging about it. I might write an occasional article in other places, but it’s time to move on from the blogosphere. The website will remain for the time being. - sabernomics.  



John Milner:

49. John Milner (1b/OF) – One of the underrated offensive players in Mets history. As I have mentioned before, the seventies wasn’t a decade of offense for the team. Had good left handed pop hitting 23 homers for the ’73 squad, splitting time between first and the outfield. Hamstring injuries kept him off the field at various points during his career.. - nybaseballdigest  



Mo Vaughn:

The big man on campus was one of the big power hitters of the 90s, and as a result, the Angels signed him from the Boston Red Sox to a six-year, $80 million contract. He started off well with the Angels, having two great power seasons before disappearing for a year. It was Mo Vaughn's three-year deal with the Mets however, which was worth nearly $50 million, that sealed this as a bust. After missing the 2001 season while with California, he was nowhere near the hitter he was while he was with the Mets. - link  



R.A. Dickey:

I suspect that the different knuckleball speeds were part of the secret to Dickey’s success in 2010, and because of that I’m inclined to think his year was no fluke. My guess is that he makes $4 million dollars in arbitration this season, as his best comparison is Tim Wakefield, who has made about that with the Red Sox every season since 2003. If the Mets can lock him up for two years, $7 million, sign me up. Dickey would rank much higher on this list with an extension, but is only under team control for 2011 at the moment. - link  

No comments: