1/20/11

Cutnpaste: - Wilmer Flores, Willie Harris, Mike Pelfrey, AJ Pinera, and Bob Ojeda

Wilmer Flores:

1-19-11 from: - hlink  - Wilmer Flores, Mets: The Mets sent Flores to full-season ball in 2009, at age 17, and while he wasn't terrible, he didn't stand out. So they sent him back to the South Atlantic League to start the 2010 season and he earned a midseason promotion to the Class A Advanced Florida State League. His best tool is his bat and he started to show some of the extra-base pop he'll continue to grow into. He may not stay at shortstop long-term, but he might hit enough to be a fine third baseman.



Willie Harris:

However, I did have a problem with the Willie Harris and Scott Hairston signings. What was that all about??? After being beat up for most of last season for my fondness for Jeff Francoeur and Rod Barajas and their terrible on-base percentages, I am a little bit surprised that we now signed two players who had even worse OBPs last season in Harris (.291 OBP) and Hairston (.295 OBP). What happened to that whole argument that the problem with the Mets anemic offense was that we were giving too many at-bats to sub .300 OBP players? - metsmerizedonline.  



Mike Pelfrey:

Pelfrey will temporarily be at the top of the Mets’ rotation in the absence of Johan Santana, who underwent surgery to in September to repair a torn anterior capsule in his left shoulder. “I embrace it. I want to do that, I want to go out there. I’m not a big rah-rah guy, so I want to go out there and lead by example,” Pelfrey said. “Like I said, I go out there and take the ball every fifth day. No matter how I feel, banged up, whatever, I’m going to be out there every fifth day.” - newyork.cbslocal.  



AJ Pinera:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/1/17/1939161/mets-farm-system-top-5-sleepers  - Yeah I know, who's that right? Well he was the Mets 18th rounder this past June out of the U of Tampa. Again I know, long shot but bear with me; I'm not saying he's a future ace, I just think he's got something. With all of the highly publicized draft woes of the previous regime, I will say that one thing they could consistently do was pull out a mid-round starting pitcher in that 15-25 range who would actually become pretty useful. Think Dillon Gee, Tobi Stoner, Dylan Owen, Jim Fuller, Kyle Allen, Michael Antonini. Not stars by any means but a lot more than one can reasonably expect from 20-something rounders. With good size and a strong mix of secondary stuff, Pinera - who posted a 2.44 ERA in 11 starts with Brooklyn in '10 - is my bet to become the next - and last - in Omar's long line of long-shot, maybe fifth starters.



Bob Ojeda:

A huge part of those eighties Mets. Won 18 games in 1986, and pitched a pivotal Game 2 in Houston, and Game 3 in Fenway. No Ojeda and the Mets don’t win in 1986. His alleged hedge trimmer accident in 1988 was a big reason why they lost to the Dodgers in the NLCS. Won 51 games in five years with a 3.14 ERA. He deserves this high billing just for his ’86 performance alone. - NYBD  

No comments: