1/23/11

Q&A: - Emaus, Murphy, Castillo, and Evans

Aaron said...



Paulino-Harris-Hu-Hairston have got to be heavy favorites to make the bench. That leaves one more spot and it probably needs to be a lefty to balance out the bench. I bet it's Murphy, since he can play a few different positions (not very well)
and hit a little. Emaus gets the opening day spot and Castillo goes home. So yes, Evans is screwed. That said, the guy has never really performed at the major league level over any significant time period, so I bet he makes it through waivers and cools his jets at AAA.

Mack:  Actually, there's no question above, but I still think it's worth writing about...

I was in advertising for years. People don't "advertise" things that don't happen. And, when Terry Collins, a brand new manager, tells the New York press that he plans on playing Daniel Murphy at first base and third base, as well as second, during spring training....  well...  you don't say things like this about people you aren't going to keep on the team.

Daniel Murphy was a full time Met before he was injured. He led the team in doubles during his last full year. He is now healed. Thus, he's again a Met.

Will he win a gold glove in his career? He didn't put himself in left field. It was the Mets management that asked him to do that so his bat could stay in the lineup.

And let's not forget that he went to camp last year as the first string Mets first baseman.

I think you are correct about all the new guys sticking. We're seeing a re-definition of the Mets and I expect everyone you mentioned to break camp on April 1st and head to Queens; but, I truly believe Murphy will be the starting second baseman. He will double as depth at first and third, and Hu and Emaus will stick as utility infielders.







2 comments:

Aaron said...

Thanks so much for replying to my comment. Strongly agree with you on the Collins hint regarding Murphy:

I was in advertising for years. People don't "advertise" things that don't happen. And, when Terry Collins, a brand new manager, tells the New York press that he plans on playing Daniel Murphy at first base and third base, as well as second, during spring training.... well... you don't say things like this about people you aren't going to keep on the team.

I take a slightly different view, that Murphy is being readied to be the left-handed utility guy who can play a few positions. But that's just a guess and I really think it will be between him and Emaus for the starter job, based on who shows more in camp. I would be a little worried about Emaus coming off the bench, as I don't know what positions he can play besides 2b, but that seems to be another thing that can be worked out in March.

My other question on this topic is do you think Murphy is a starter - or the long-term answer at second - on a winning Mets team? Based on his middling offensive performance in '09 and the question marks around his defense, I don't think so. Here's to hoping I'm wrong, Emaus turns out to be really good, and Havens can stay healthy and keep hitting.

Mack Ade said...

Murphy knows this could be his last chance with the Mets. He's run out of positions and Reese Havens is barking up his arse.

I expect you will see 1000% from him in ST.