1/9/11

Trading Beltran and Reyes

Darnell James asked:



1. Where do you think Mets OF prospect Gilbert Gomez will play in 2011?


2. On to a more interesting topic. Let’s get into your head. You are the Mets GM. Where and for what would you trade Reyes for. Same question goes for Beltran.


Mack:


There’s no rush for Gomez and he’s a little blocked on the full season teams. He could start 2011 either in Kingsport or Brooklyn, but I expect the Mets brass would like to keep him closer to home at Coney Island.


This kid was born in 1992. I already had ED by then. He put in 157 at bats last season for the GCL Mets, hitting .229/.289/.344/.633. He turns 19 in March.


Regarding whom I would ask for in return for both Beltran and Reyes, much of that would be determined on how the two of them play the first half of the season.


Trading isn’t an easy task. You don’t call people or text every GM and tell them what you want. You get the word out that a certain player can be had and you sit back and see if the phone rings. Once it does, you do your research and determine what you can realistically ask for in return for the player the other team has interest in.


The Mets know what they need after the 2011 season. You always need another starter, preferably a lefty, a prime cut outfielder wouldn’t hurt, but the Grienke and Garza deals are a good primer for what most teams do to get a deal like this done.


Me? I’d go for two top prospects from each team, one of which that has already excelled at either the AA or AAA level, and the other who has proven his tools and ceiling at the A or A+ level.


I also would demand that all four were starting pitchers. I’ll find my replacement for Beltran in the 2012 free agent market (remember all the money coming off…) and we’ll let the current system produce the next shortstop.


I would sign, draft, and trade for every top SP I can get my hands on until I have a five man rotation that’s more talented, and younger, than San Francisco.


But, that’s me.

No comments: