5/21/12

TRAID RIGHT


Photo by Mack Ade
I was asked not to write about the Mets in the future (stay on the minor league side); however, since no one, including the ones that asked me, are writing about them, what the hell, right?

There is increasing chatter in the scouting world about the “probability” (not “possibility) of 3B David Wright being traded by the Mets. I’ve mentioned before that David hasn’t spoken directly with Fred Wilpon since the day before Wilpon dissed him to the media. That hasn’t changed.

In addition, Wright’s agent would have to be the stupidest person on earth if he thought that Sandy Alderson’s sloooooooooooooooowly emerging  long term offer to Wright will be anywhere in the same galaxy as other teams like the Los Angeles Lakers… err… Dodgers.

The value of Wright to the Mets is immeasurable, but the return from a trade of… right now… the best baseball player on the face of the earth… may not be able to be ignored. It obviously would bring at least three new bodies to the team. All would be top players at the level they currently play and, probably two of them would either already be playing in the majors or be major league ready. Trouble areas like rotation pitcher, big bat, CF, C, 1B,2B and CL could be addressed.

Just use your imagination.

What if the Mets packaged Ike Davis with Wright, moved Lucas Duda to first base, moved Daniel Murphy to third, and received a blue chip centerfielder, a killer second baseman, the other team’s top catcher prospect, and an SP2/3?

And let’s use the Dodgers as an example.

Would you be terribly unhappy with OF Andre Ethier, SP Zach Lee, OF Joc Peterson, and C A.J. Ellis?

Fans, you need to be prepared for something like this happening. It hopefully never will, but, as the scouts are saying, it’s a ‘probability’, not a ‘possibility’

9 comments:

Susana said...

I understand that trading Wright would bring in a nice haul, but it would an absolute tragedy for the fans, if the organization does not resign him and keep him a lifelong Met.

We all know just how much he brings to this team when he is healthy and has a motivated teammates around him instead of aging and overpaid prima donnas.

And he brings just as much, if not more, off the field as the classy player he is.

The org. in my opinion would look like cheap, heartless assholes (oh wait...they already do) if they dont offer him a solid and respectable extension knowing how great of player he is and what he means to the fans.

Mack Ade said...

I agree Susana, but I feel it is time for Mets fans to get ready for this possibilty.

It's just a business now.

Who would exoect a team to take the press credentials away from a decorated Viet Nam veteran who is bedridden and 100% disabled... oh yeah... that's me!

Bob Sugar said...

Go Bayside High School Commodores.

Anonymous said...

I still don't know why you don't just write about whatever you want. I don't know why people would feel the need to ask you to only write about the minors.

Write what you want. Ignore the haters.

Mack Ade said...

okay...

I'm gonna write about people that tell me to write about ahnything I want...

:)

susana said...

They're pathetic - everyone knows it and I hope in a few years this team is under new ownership. I wish I could meet them in person and tell it to their faces.

Mack Ade said...

Susana -

best story I can tell

Long-time Mets poster, Johnny Lowe (*62)was dying of pancreatic cancer in Florida. He had never taken his 9-year old son to a Mets game.

I called Jay Horvitz at the Mets and asked to set up a day with him. I was going to drive down, pick up Johnny and Asher, and drive to Queens. There was a chance that Johnny wouldn't survive the trip, but that was his "bucket list" and I was more than willing to drag my ass out of bed.

I emailed Jay the details and he emailed back to me to call him on Monday.

I did, told the clone who picked up the phone who I was, went on hold for a few minutes and then Jay came on the line, barking "okay Mack, what do you want now?"

THAT's the busness acumen under Fred and Ethel.

Mack Ade said...

Anonymous:

Actually, they were other writers on Mack's Mets that wanted to cover the parent team.

I agreed, but they must have have been unable to adjust their priorities.

Susana said...

Douchebags.