5/25/12

Mack's Mets Draft Profile - RHP Marcus Stroman


Mack’s Mets 2012 Draft- Marcus Stroman- RHP- Duke University Blue Devils


John Sickels projection: Pick 10- Rockies
Mets select: 12.

Marcus Stroman is a polarizing, intriguing and extremely talented pitcher out of Duke University. If Byron Buxton has the best package of any hitter in the draft, Stroman quite possibly has the best package of any pitcher. He has the pitch selection of Kevin Gausman, the results of Kyle Zimmer, and the command of Michael Wacha.

If he were 6’5”, he would be the consensus #1 pick. The polarizing part of this equation comes from his stature. Stroman stands only 5’9” (some reports say 5’8”, some say 5’10”—we’ll go with the median). Of course, most people think he is destined for the bullpen but first consider the following:

-  Marcus Stroman averaged 7.0 innings per start this year (98 innings, 14 starts) after spending last year at the Blue Devils’ closer.
-  5.23 K/BB ratio.
-  Led the nation in strikeouts.
-  Second in the nation in strikeouts per nine innings.
- Throws a mid-90s plus fastball that can touch the high-90s, has, in my mind, the best slider in the nation, a good cutter and developing change. He throws all of them for strikes, controls all four pitches well, and has the confidence to throw them at any point in the count.
-  2.39 ERA in the ACC this year as a starter.
-  Strong and athletic with very smooth mechanics.

The worst I have heard from scouts is #3 starter. At best, in the bullpen, Craig Kimbrel. At best, in the rotation, Tim Lincecum. A lot of teams passed up on Tiny Tim because of his stature and I think teams will take a longer look at Marcus because of Lincecum’s success.

Where do the Mets fit in with this? I have not heard any reports tied to Marcus Stroman being taken by the Mets but he intrigues me quite a bit and most projections have him in the 10-15 range which makes me think he is at least on the minds of the powers at be. If he is around and the Mets do consider him, they will get one of the liveliest arms in the draft and a potential stud starter. So many have told me “you don’t draft a reliever with your first pick” but the gamble with Stroman is that he sticks as a starter. I think he can. It will be fascinating to follow his progression—wherever he goes.

Fun note: Marcus was born in Medford, NY and is good friends with Stephen Matz and Jack Leathersich.

LGM

2 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I knew he was gonna write about this guy... :(

Stephen I both agree that Marcus is a great pitcher (who also is the person that game Jack Leathersich the nickname of 'Leather Rocker')... we just disagree what role he will take to make the big bucks.

I believe there's a better chance that I can flap my ears and fly to the moon that he makes it as a rotational pitcher.

I'm sure you can guess what Stephen thinks...

Stephen Guilbert said...

Mack, I'm told you have very impressive, dexterous ears.