5/26/12

Mack Ade on Lucas Giolito


There continues to be a lot of mystery involving whether or not top prospect Harvard-Westlake RHSP Lucas Giolito is in top form. Frankly, there isn’t even any kind of confirmation that he has any intention of signing with anyone. His father is a reader here, but I have no intention of bothering him. He did tell me yesterday that he and his son were not available to Stephen Guilbert for his series of interviews he’s doing leading up to draft day.

Luc started tossing a few weeks ago and there is no way of hitting top velocity this soon in rehab.

I know, in my heart, he couldn’t pitch a game… today.

And, that’s all anybody knows… today.

The family supports the player and, if I was a betting man, he’s going to UCLA. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t see him shut down before the draft.

There’s another issue and it is the money Giolito feels he is worth. We know it’s not the kid here. Is it the agent or the father? You do the math.

Signing Giolito for a $2mil+ bonus is like a Facebook IPO. Could go either way.

2 comments:

Prince Rahman said...

Even if the Luc was available at pick 12, the Mets, in my opinion, wouldn`t pick him. The Mets wouldn`t be able to meet his asking price. Frankly, I wouldn`t mind the Mets picking anyone except Gavin Cecchini and Mike Wacha. Cecchini is last year`s Joe Panik AT BEST and Mike Wacha is going to a number 3 or 4 starter in the bigs. NO THANKS.
Give me Courtney/Shaffer/Fried and I would be satisfied.

Mack Ade said...

Prince, it is so hard to predict these guys...

Last year, I would have been thrilled to have Matt Barnes fall to the Mets pick. Not only did he do that, but so did Jungman and Gray... I was dancing in my office until I heard a name that should not have been said until somewhere last in the sup-one round.

The guy (McDonald) who made the Nimmo pick is gone, but until I hear a name that should be at #12, I'm not going to believe this draft team is capable of doing what should be done.