5/30/12


Rock Rucker Q and A- Jokester, Scholar-Athlete, Two-Way Talent




Today we get the pleasure to interview draft prospect Rock Rucker out of Russell County High School in Alabama. We corresponded over email and we thank Rock for taking the time to answer some questions.

Stephen Guilbert: Thanks for joining us, Rock. Let's start out in the classroom and move to the playing field. Perfect Game recently reported you carry a 3.5 GPA thus far and have already been accepted to Auburn University. How have you balanced athletics and academics and done so well in both?

Rock Rocker: My mother plays a huge role when it comes to education. I started my freshman year of high school with good study habits and with my mom’s love and support I gradually used them in life and in school. Another thing I was taught by my father was to be a student-athlete. Then he'd say, “you see which word comes first?” 

SG: Do you have a favorite subject in school?

RR: My favorite subject has to be Social Studies. I love learning things about our country and events that have made a huge impact on the United States.

Do you find that your intellect helps you be a better ball player? 

Intellect in school and intellect on the field are two different things. Book smarts can't help you if you get picked off, haha! Some aspects may help but I don't think it affects that much of the baseball world.

Could you give us here at Mack's Mets a bit of a scouting report on yourself? Both as a pitcher and a hitter.

As a hitter I have a left handed bat with a projectable power, I also hit for average my senior year and I plan to get better. As a pitcher, my fastball sits 90-94 and touches 95. My curveball is my go-to pitch and I also have a splitter. 

Which do you enjoy better? 

I don't mind pitching but I'd love to be a hitter at the next level.

In an interview with MaxPreps, you said: in the draft they want me as a pitcher. Lefties who throw in the low-to-mid 90s are rare. That's my ticket." Have you been told by teams that they would draft you as a pitcher or as you deducing this from what you know of drafting tendencies? 

Well, from what I've heard, most teams don't know what I am yet. Some teams like my power bat and some teams like my power arm. It all comes down who drafts me first come June.

I hear that you're a bit of a jokester. Any good practical jokes you can share with us? 

Yeah I am a funny guy! When my high school team (Russell County) traveled to Mobile for the Elite 8 of the state playoffs, we went to watch my coach’s (Tony Rasmus) son (Cory Rasmus). My coach had on a pair rainbow plaid shorts and a pair of neon shoes and I cracked jokes until we were back at our hotel that evening. 

What has been the highlight of your year thus far? 

As a hitter, we played in a tournament during our season and I went 8-10 with 9 RBI and 2 homeruns. As a pitcher, I threw a no hitter against Beauregard high school.

Is there a draft party planned?  

No draft party planned. My dad and some close friends are going to go to the driving range and hit some balls and have some lunch. Jeremiah 29:11 is what I go by.

Can you share something with us at Mack's Mets that fans might not know about you?

I was born in Flushing not to far from Shea Stadium, and my mom’s side resides in Queens

----------------------------------

Mocks currently have Rock going anywhere between the late first round and the rounds 3-4 range. My guess? Some team jumps on him and we see him selected in the supplemental. 

We wish Rock the best of luck and hope to see him in a Mets uniform before long.

Note: Jeremiah 29:11 reads: "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". 

Mack - Darius "Rock" Rucker did have a private tryout with the Mets in the past two weeks... as a pitcher

No comments: