11/1/13

Craig Brown - I May Be Wrong, But

avatar - i may be wrongTis the Season....So here's my take on an offseason game plan for the Mets

PITCHING

I would focus on finding a pitcher or two that has experience as a starter or a reliever.  Somebody that wouldn't be too expensive, and when the time comes to promote Thor or Montero, has the skills neccesary to transition to the pen.  Candidates would be guys like Phil Hughes, Tim Stauffer, or maybe even Barry Zito.  I would also look to acquire a bullpen arm that has some experience as a closer in case Parnell isn't ready...Someone like Brian Wilson, or Ryan Madsen

OFFENSE

I would focus on guys who's abilities fit the dimesions of Citi Field well.  Guys who hit the ball hard to both gaps and have above average speed...Citi isn't the type of stadium that lends itself well to relying on the three-run homer--The Mets need to manufacture runs...they need to turn Citi Field into an advantage for them...Use the mid eighties Cardinals teams as a template...

DEFENSE

I would trade or release anyone that doesn't play defense at a high level.  Wilmer Flores, Lucas Duda, and Daniel Murphy would all be gone.  What is the point of having an elite pitching staff if youre second baseman can't field anything if is hit more than two steps away from him?

 

OVERALL

I think the Mets need to turn over as much of this roster as possible.  Its been three years of watching the same lackluster baseball players, and Mets fans won't pay to see these guys anymore....The priority should be adding viable, major league baseball players from 1-25 on the roster.  I would be very reluctant to trade away any young pitching, and I think the Mets need to add at least one elite bat to protect the Captain.

*I'm not even going to pretend  to know what the Mets budget is this offseason...I've heard everything from 15m to 45m so i'll shoot for something in the middle...

 

1.  Non Tender 1B Ike Davis  (-3m)

I would certainly look to swap Ike out for another teams disapointment..Maybe Danny Espinoza from Washington, or Drew Pomeranz in Colorado...At the end of the day I just don't think that the Mets can afford to give him the keys to the First base job again.  There is always that 1% chance that someone will get a hold of Ike and turn him into the next Chris Davis, but it won't be Dave Hudgins--so its time to let him go.

2.  Sign 1B James Loney 2 Years 12 Million (+3)

He's not a prototypical power hitting first baseman, but he offers more consistency than the 5 headed Davis/Flores/Satin/Duda/Dykstra Monster....and he's one the top 3-4 defensive first basemen in the world.

3.  Sign SS Rafael Furcal 1 Year 5.5 Million (+8.5)

I know that he's 36, but i've always wanted Furcal to be a Met...He's a defensive wiz, and there may still be a great hitter in there somewhere.  He would also be an amazing mentor to the still only 21 year old Ruben Tejada...

4.  Trade 2B Daniel Murphy, OF Lucas Duda, and OF Jordany Valdespin to the Seatle Mariners for OF Michael Saunders, 2B Dustin Ackley, and C Jesus Montero (+8.5)

Daniel Murphy is a guy that has a difficult value to pin down.  Its very possible that i'm underselling here, but I do honestly believe that his value will never be higher than it is right now.  I love the potential upside of Ackley and Saunders, and  they are both elite defenders.  Montero doesn't really fit my defensive model, but he has the ability to be a world class hitter--I would stow him away in AAA, and try to find someone that can make him a passable catcher.

5.  Sign RHP Phil Hughes  2 Years 14 Million (+15.5)

Phil Hughes is perfect for Citi Field...he is an extreme fly ball pitcher...The home runs he gave up at Yankee Stadium would turn into routine fly balls at Citi.  He also has some pretty good numbers as a releiver...

6.  Sign RHP Brian Wilson 1 Year 7.5 Million (+23)

I've read that his velocity was almost back to normal by the end of last year.  If he's healthy again he could win the closer job even if Parnell is ready.

7.  Add RHP Rafael Montero to the 25 man roster (+23)

I understood when they held back Harvey and Wheeler...Montero is a different case.  Sending him back to Vegas can do nothing for him but mess with his head.  He has already conquered AAA in a way that neither Harvey or Wheeler ever did, and I want Montero ready for 2015 when Matt Harvey comes back and this team really starts to take shape.

8.  Alright, here's where i'm asking for trouble....Trade 2B Wilmer Flores, RHP Jacob DeGrom, and C Kevin Plawecki to Milwaukee for OF Ryan Braun (+33)

The Mets are desperate for another middle of the order bat...Braun may not be the most popular guy in the clubhouse right away, but I can't imagine too many Mets fans complaining about adding an elite bat steroids or no.  I'm not sure this package would be enough to get him, and to be honest, I would be willing to send more in order to make him a Met.  The best part...His 2014 salary is only 10M.

And here it is.....

1B James Loney

2B Dustin Ackley

SS Rafael Furcal

3B David Wright

C Travis D'Arnaud

RF Michael Saunders

CF Juan Lagares

LF Ryan Braun

B Ruben Tejada

B Justin Turner

B Juan Centeno

B Eric Young

B Matt Den Dekker

P Jon Niese

P Zack Wheeler

P Dillon Gee

P Jennry Mejia

P Rafael Montero

P Bobby Parnell

P Brian Wilson

P Gonzalez Germen

P Vic Black

P Phil Hughes

P Jeurys Familia

P Josh Edgin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12 comments:

Soto said...

Braun's contract is one that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Its outrageously bad.

Chris said...

I would trade for Bautista for right, Cuddyer for 1b, sign Byrd to play left. Trade for Lowrie for SS or sign Peralta,.

Lineup:
Lowery, Murphy, Wright, Bautista, Cuddyer, Byrd, d'Arnaud, Lagares

Pitching: go for Hudson 15 mil, Harang on the cheap

Hudson, Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Harang

Then add Hawkins and Joe Smith to the pen

Parnell, Black, Hawkins, Smith, Rice, German, Torres

Bench: Turner, Satin, EY, (cheap catcher), Quintinilla.

Figure 95-100 mil salary range.

Craig Brown said...

According to baseball reference:

14' 10m age 30
15' 12m age 31
16' 19m age 32
17' 19m age 33
18' 19m age 34
19' 18m age 35
20' 16m age 36
21' 20m age 37 (4m buyout)

I don't think thats bad at all....

The Giants just signed Tim Lincecum for two years 18 per year, and he has literally been one of the worst starters in the national league over the last two years.

Michael S. said...

I'm on board with trading for Braun and bringing in Ackley. I'd like to see Murphy moved in a separate deal as well.

I don't think the Mets would be giving up much in that Braun trade, I'd like to see them pull off a blockbuster for CarGo as well.


3. Wright 3B
4. Gonzalez RF
5. Braun LF
6.
7. Ackley 2B
8. d'Arnaud Ca

would be a scary middle of the lineup and have a solid foundation overall.

steve said...

7>5 for Wilson??????????
Frank Frank all over again.

Craig Brown said...

7.5 for one year was the prediction on MLBTR.

I think we all need to accept that we will need to pay 10% more than what any other team offers in order to get any player to sign here.

Craig Brown said...

Do you think we could get him without giving up Wheeler or Syndergaard?

Richard said...

It's the 8 year commitment that makes it bad. Jason Bay take 2 with a longer commitment.

Richard said...

I would bid 75 million on Tanaka. Sign him to a 5 year 75 million dollar contract. Then be patient and wait for the right deals to come my way.

The problem with this is if the Mets can come up with the 75 million.

Michael S. said...

Craig,

I've always thought (although I'm in the minority) that a Gee/Montero combo could supplant a Wheeler or Syndergaard. The tradeoff is that instead of the elite upside with Thor or Zach, the Rockies get an established MLB pitcher and another high-ceiling pitching prospect.

Herb G said...

I am NOT going to non-tender Ike. True, he has been a disappointment to date, but his upside is too great to give up on him just yet. I'm giving him until the trade deadline next year to show he should be part of our future. We all remember his comeback after his disasterous start in 2012, but nnot many realize that his slash line in the 2nd half last year, prior to going down, was .286/.449/.505 for an OPS of .954.

I'd love to trade for Braun, but I don't think we match up that well with the Brewers. There are possibilities, however. Flores should be attractive to them because their 3B Ramirez will be 36 next June. If you're willing to give up Montero, (deGrom doesn't do it) a package of Flores, Montero, Duda and one of the Mets good lefty reliever prospects might work. Duda could be an upgrade at 1B over Juan Francisco.

An easier trade to make might be Murphy, Gee and deGrom for Matt Kemp plus cash. I don't think we make both trades, however, because it means taking on too much salary.

I don't like the Murphy/Duda/Spin trade nohow. I think we can do better for them. I like signing Furcal, but I'm not giving him the starting SS job after he missed the entire 2013 season coming off Tommy John surgery. Rather, I'm trading for a quality SS (I'm thinking Andrus, Aybar, Lowrie, Cabrera, etc.) and letting Furcal ramp up on the bench.

Craig Brown said...

Good Morning Herb

RE Ike...We are definately going to have to agree to disagree. I don't need to see his stats from the second half. I watched the games...He's still not right.

RE Braun...I would be willing to add more, but not Montero...If it came to that, I would move on and work on signing Beltran

RE Kemp...The Dodgers won't trade Kemp unless they get Wheeler or Syndergaard back. I don't think the Dodgers care about the cash at all.

RE Furcal...I would have him split time with Tejada...who I still hold out alot of hope for. I don't like any of the free agent SS...except for Andrus, and I think the Rangers will ask for the world to get him.