2/12/14

Mack's Mets Interview 1B Dominic Smith

I had the pleasure of interviewing 1B Dominic Smith when he was a junior in high school. I contacted him last month and set up another interview, this time with the crew here at Mack's Mets.

Craig Mitchell, writer for Mack’s Met, asked:
Who is your baseball idol?

Smith:  
I am a fan of baseball and I've never really idolized one person. I enjoy watching many players and styles; I consider myself a student of the game.

Charles Thompson, longtime contributor on Mack’s Mets:
Was turning pro and playing ball every day harder then you expected?  If so, what made it hard?  The grind or the better competition?

Smith:
Yes, in my opinion it's harder because there's nothing you can do to prepare for pro baseball. Also, the competition is tough but not more challenging than the grind.

Reese Kaplan, writer for Mack’s Mets –
The Mets have employed a great many first basemen who weren't traditional sluggers, including Ed Kranepool, Willie Montanez, John Milner, Keith Hernandez, John Olerud, Daniel Murphy (1 year) and others.  Other teams do the same with players like James Loney.  How would you respond to writers who criticize you for not having demonstrated prodigious home run power?

Smith:
I try not to focus on what people criticize me for. I just continue to work as hard as I can to become a better player every day.

Ernest Dove, writer for Mack’s Mets –
What's biggest adjustment from high school to professional ball.

Smith –
The biggest adjustment in this transition is playing everyday.

Herb G, one of the writers here at Mack’s Mets –
 What do you think you have to do to further improve your game as a fielder? As a hitter

Smith -
I know that by working hard on my craft it will help me to improve as a player and will allow me to exceed the expectations I have for myself.

Mack’s Mets writer Luis Tirado Jr. –
While practicing and in games, what baseball player would he try to emulate? Who was his role model that got him into baseball?

Smith –
Growing up I studied players like Carlos Gonzales, Robinson Cano, and Mark Teixeira to name a few and took bits and pieces of their game and added it to my own. My parents were instrumental in getting me interested in the game of baseball.

Mack’s Mets writer Craig Brown:
I would ask Dominick which teammate off the GCL or Kingsport rosters impressed him the most/is most likely to have a major league career.

Smith –
All the players on both teams were impressive to me and showed flashes of big league potential.

Mack’s Mets writer Matt Gad:
What is one quality of your game that you think will be the hardest to try redevelop at a professional level in the Mets system over the next couple of years?

Smith -
I truly focus on staying positive. I believe that in this profession, the higher you climb the ladder of success, the more people will criticize your talent.

Mack’s Mets writer D Whit
What was his biggest adjustment off-field to playing professional minor league baseball?

Smith –
Keeping my personal life and my career separate because of the ups and downs of the game. I try to keep my mind clear when I'm off the field.

Mack -
this is basically the same question I asked you two years ago...  you've been probably been playing this game since your played T-ball... who were the people that influenced you the most and got you to this point today?

 Smith –

I give all the glory to God for my talents and the blessings I've received. I also know that I wouldn't be here without the guidance and unconditional love of my parents and also my high school teacher, Ms. Sullivan.

4 comments:

Herb G said...

This kid handled himself extremely well for an 18 year old. He responded intelligently and handled the few curve balls very diplomatically.

David Philp said...

Did his agent answer these questions for him? I hope he's a better player than interview, because he gave nothing here. In a way I'm glad because the last thing you want is Lastings Milledge Round #2. On the other hand, he's got to have some personality, right? Maybe just a little bit? Not your fault, guys. Nice job getting the interview.

Mack Ade said...

David, I interviewed him when he was a junior in high school... you may choose to search this site for that one

Unknown said...

Great interview! Was a great read and good insight into one of our future superstars :-)