6/23/19

Mack - A Reflective Look at the Pipeline


It's Friday here in South Carolina and I just posted my latest transaction post that you will read... well, yesterday.

I'm sitting here rehashing in my minds the events of the last 24 hours... another Mets loss, two Mets coaches fired, their replacements being three guys that were already in the organization (money savings for the Wilpons), one being even older than me,  a minor league team (Columbia) that scored nine runs, only to still lose by 17 RUNS, and our ace pipeline starter, Anthony Kay, being destroyed once more for AAA-Syracuse.

My last task before turning to this was to go the Kingsport website and click on their seasonal stat page. It says the season still hasn't started. 

This team is operating at, so many levels, like an Indy team on a field of rocks. Can't anybody here play this game (who said that?)?

What does a guy like me do? My task has always been to inform my readers about what is going on in the system. I'm always telling you it is going to get better down the road and then it quickly turns to blowing smoke up your ass. In my opinion, here is the flat out truth about our system right now: 

1. We have two pitching prospects in Syracuse, one (Anthony Kay) has a 16.20-ERA and the other (Ryley Gilliam) has a 12.48-ERA. Past that, one pitcher shows promise (Chris Mazza) but there isn't one field player worth noting here. Oh yeah. Did I mention that Tim Tebow now has the lowest batting average in baseball?

2. Binghamton may have the ability to turn this franchise around on their own merit. True, they currently have no red prospects... but they have a ton of blue guys that could develop past their accomplishments already. A year ago, Jeff McNeil and Pete Alonso were blue prospects, but they took their God given talent into the off-season with the determination to either change their body, their swing, or their total approach to the game and the results are what we see now, two guys that probably will be on the NL ASG roster this season. 

Who are they? Well, they are pitchers David Peterson, Stephen Villines and Joseph Zanghi, catchers Ali Sanchez and Patrick Mazeika, SS Andres Gimenez, 3B Will Toffey, and OF Quinn Broady. Frankly, if two of these guys stepped up like the "Jeff and Pete Show", we could have a banner year in 2021. Three and we could throw a parade. None, we go back to firing assistant coaches.

3. There are some intriguing pieces in St. Lucie... starter Tony Dibrell... relievers Andrew Mitchell and Darwin Ramos... first baseman Jeremy Vasquez... and second baseman Carlos Cortez... but, like their counterparts in Binghamton, none stand out yet as a red chip prospect.

4. There is no reason to currently look past these three teams. It's too early to evaluate players in Columbia and the short season teams. Too early.

5. So, you tell me. What's your grade here? How many of these guys are going to turn into cream and rise to the top? Is having a bunch of almost guys enough to take us to the promise land in the next couple of years? 

Me?

No soap, radio.







14 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Not pretty...but Greg Guerrero and Andres Regnault in Kingsport are making me smile with their hot starts.

As Pete and Jeff show us, it only takes a few.

Of course, Greg and Andres are at least a few years away.

Mack Ade said...

Tom

As I stated in this post, players in Columbia are too early to evaluate.

Gary Seagren said...

O.K. we're all upset with this season so far and know we have at least a few more years with BVW and Robbie "Mr. GIDP" Cano but I'm trying to enjoy every game played by McNeil and Alonso as their play AND attitude are so refreshing in this lost season. The only thing that might save that trade would be Diaz being GREAT for at least a few more years and Brodie and his new FO making much better evaluations and moves....PLEASE! Now fellas what would you guys do with Wheeler at this point? Also your opinions on moving Rosario to CF as Gary and Ronnie mentioned y/day and if so who's your SS? Also can we please play Dom more often. I know it's a very short sample size and it rarely has a big immediate impact but is "The Vulture" having early success with some on this pitching staff.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, out of the top tier players you listed, I am most hopeful for Kay and Gilliam, both of whom are being rushed (GOOD!), and on the offensive side, Gimenez (despite his soft season), Ali Sanchez, and Cortez. Ali hitting 40-50 points higher than Gimenez is a real surprise.

I know he is older, but Arismendy Alcantara is on quite a tear with in 29 games with Syracuse: .361/.448/.602, less than half the at bats, but more hits, than Tim Tebow, whose new nickname may be Time's Up Tebow. Tebow is hitting a lot worse than the Mets' pitchers, who are at .200 (31 for 155), with more homers.

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, I think the next two weeks dictate the Mets' direction - but it would be amazing if the Vulture turned this team around somehow.

Oh, and I was curious: how is our dear Yoenis Cespedes mending up?

Gary Seagren said...

Tom I think for Yo it's hard to leave the ranch and what a wonderful country we live in where, lets face it, this fraud gets hurt doing something stupid on his own and still collects his millions life is good. Also I see Davis is playing CF in Cuse and I'm just hoping he's on the next plane to the show as can we have worse CF play than the washed up Lagares and Gomez? I know I'm rambling but w/o Pete and Jeff just how bad would we be right now and just how many times in my life has the team I love and root for been the laughing stock of the league....too many so Brodie when you talk the talk you have to walk the walk and it starts now.

Gary Seagren said...

Also if any of you guys ever want to talk Mets I'm available just e-mail me at seagren@verizon.net thanks

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, here's a thought on another vet to re-sign - he'd instantly be the Mets' minor's best hitter:

TJ Rivera (on Twitter)

Jun 9

Little update:

I’ve been on a throwing program these last few weeks, and I am finally finishing up. Feeling 100% and ready to be back out on a field again. Thank you everyone for continuing to support me

John From Albany said...

Tom, loved TJ as a hitter but he was tough to take in the field. What position do you think he would play?

Mack Ade said...

Tom-

I truly don't have the answer for this team anymore.

Mack Ade said...

Gary -

They HAVE to trade both Vargas and Wheeler during the trading season. Combined, they could bring four Top 100 prospects to this team.

Who do they pitch for the remainder of this season?

Don't know and don't care.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack

I honestly want more than a wild card spot - but this team is somehow only 3.5 games out of the wild card, and I think the top 8 pitchers could easily be a half run per game lower from here on out - does that get you the wild card?

Seems the team needs a few more weeks to see if the main pitchers can step up.

After all, we tend to overlook how incredible Alonso and McNeil have been, towards the Mets being a winning team.

deGrom and Diaz are 1.5 runs above last year, and Thor, Matz, Zack and Gsellman are combined above 4.50. I think a half run per 9 innings reduction from them is entirely within expectations. 3/4 of a run per game less should be doable.

Gary Seagren said...

There close to signing Allen and Mangum

Mack Ade said...

Gary

As I said in my draft recap post, if that happens this will be great first dfaft by the Boys from Boston