11/9/19

Mack - FWIW


Mack – FWIW



1.    I’m having a tough time accepting Carlos Beltran as my manager. I’m a ‘experience first’ guy and I had problems with that last guy that was never more than a pitching coach. Beltran hasn’t coached a thing in professional baseball and my only hope is that his (sic) choice of a bench coach, to guide him, is someone that has been in the position before.


2.    And please… don’t bring back the dirty laundry. If Edgardo Alfonzo isn’t good enough to manager in Brooklyn than Terry Collins shouldn’t ever step foot in the dugout again. What is he going to teach Beltran? When to pull a pitcher to early? When to pitch a reliever three straight days? Come on, now.


3.    Lastly on Beltran. I keep reading what a strong leader he is in the clubhouse. Well, he must have gone to summer school after he left the Mets and took a course of ‘People Skills 101’, because the Carlos Beltran I knew in the 2007-08 years (when I was allowed in the clubhouse) was a silent, almost sullen person when he was around his locker. In my opinion, Beltran and ‘Strong Leader’ don’t deserve to be in the same sentence.


4.    I think we can all agree that we need a new defensive minded centerfielder (even though we just released one that was pretty good at catching a ball out there. We writers here have discussed this topic on our private text feed and I keep getting push back when I bring up the name of Jackie Bradley Jr. First the down side… he will be a free agent in 2021, he will play next season at 30, and he only hit .225 last season. The good news… he hit 21 home runs, had 56 walks and plays Gold Glove center. All I’m looking for is one year from this guy until my organization can develop someone like Quinn Brodey or a converted infielder (remember… Juan Lagares originally was a shortstop) like Andres Gimenez.


5.    Lastly, some of you readers (and writers too!) may be noticing that anonymous comments on the site are disappearing after they are posted. I’m the guy that is removing them. There is a setting I can make a change on the site, but every time I click on it to eliminate the ability of writers to leave ‘anon’ posts, I get an email from readers that play by the rules and use their name or a handle, that they too can’t get on the site. The site is old, I don’t have the ability to get under the hood on the site, and the only guy that could flew the coop. So, I will continue to do this, regardless of how well your writing is. Put your name or a handle on it. I’m not asking you to cure cancer here.

(but, what do I know…)

9 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

A comedian friend of mine, and big Mets fan, was puzzled/unimpressed by Beltran's selection, noting that he is not an impressive and articulate speaker, not to mention an inexperienced manager. Beltran is going to have to prove a lot of people wrong.

I'd prefer to not see Collins as bench coach - it would be like having Hillary as a running mate for VP this year. Let's get a fresh face, but a skilled one.

Question is: Bradley for who from the Mets in exchange? He would cost $11 million in salary next year.

And I just hope his hit tool would not dwindle to .200 next year. Citifield has a strange way of doing stuff like that.

Oddly, he has hit well against NL East teams, so that is a factor.

Sadly he bats lefty.

Hobie said...

Between OF & 1B, in every 12G there are 48 lineup slots. Conforto & Alonso get 20-22 of those. The other 26-28 split in some rotation among Nimmo, Cespedes, Davis & D.Smith. It means Nimmo or Conforto in CF, true, but between (a) balls out of the park, and (b) balls staying in the park, (b) is a of MUCH less concern than (a). I say no to Bradley. Marte for Nimmo? Maybe.

In those same 12G, there are 36 slots for 2B, 3B & SS. With 20-22 going to McNeil and Rosario, that leaves 14-16 split between Cano & Lowrie. My question is: add Guillorme (or dark horse Hggerty) to that mix or a 3rd catcher allowing Ramos to PH or be defensively relieved more often. Ideally I would like Grandal, but don't see that happening.

Fix the pen and let's go.

John From Albany said...

Mack - like your idea yesterday about Edgardo Alfonso the best - put him on the major league coaching staff. He would be a great 3rd base and infield coach. Think Endy Chavez would also be great coaching at first.

Mack Ade said...

Hobie

You know my feelins about Grandal. I was high on him well before he enetered organized ball... but IMO the Mets lost their chance of signing him to a competitive deal last time around.

This ship has passed.

Mack Ade said...

John

It would be kinda cool to see all 3 together in Mets uniforms again.

TexasGusCC said...

Whenever I post on the “Mobile Site”, the comment gets erased. I have learned to click to the Web Version on the bottom in order to have a comment post.

I am not “in love” with Beltran, but I’ll give him a chance. He fits the Mets budget, as he took $3MM for three years, so he had that going for him. However, he does bring field intelligence to the dugout, which we haven’t seen in years!! I would like a strong pitching coach and a sharp bench coach - Charlie Manuel of the Phillies? - to help him navigate the game.

Mack Ade said...

Tex

I did not know there was a mobile glitch.

Sorry.

TexasGusCC said...

It’s cool. It might be just Apple Phones?

Reese Kaplan said...

Beltran was by far the worst candidate, so naturally...