7/6/20

Tom Brennan - YEAH, IT'S EARLY, BUT YOENIS CESPEDES LOOKS SCARY


I know, I know, in pre-season, hope springs eternal, but with Yoenis Cespedes, I have this feeling his return is gonna be:


"BIG. REALLY BIG."


A few minutes ago, on this Sunday morning, having survived Fireworks Armageddon, another day of the pandemic, and not having had the 50 foot statue of myself in front of the house pulled down, I looked at Baseball Reference for their 2020 projection for Cespedes.


What they had instead was his 2020 Simulated Stats Thru July 4: 

.173/.213/.280 through 80 PAs. Ugly.


The question Professor Sam Kinnison in "Back to School" would bellow (as he did above to Rodney Dangerfield) is: 


"WELL, ARE THEY RIGHT?  ARE THEY???"



Not if you ask the Mets in camp.

Zack Braziller of the NY Post wrote the following words of one fellow slugger, Michael Conforto:




“He looks like a monster.” 



“He looks like he’s motivated. He looks like he’s in shape. 

I’ve seen some of the stuff he was doing to get himself ready, some videos of him working out at his ranch, the guy is definitely hungry.”

So to answer the good Professor, I am going with the eyewitness, MC Hammer, and not with Baseball Reference's projections, which makes Yoenis Cespedes look like, well, Don Bosch (.157/.210.216 as a Met).


I am all in on Cespedes being another one of the Mets' Plate Monsters, until proven otherwise.


Because when Professor Sam Kinnison is bellowing in your face, you better come up with an answer, and stick to it.


"MONSTER!" 

But it's not what I think.  



Question to you is:



Do YOU believe in MONSTERS?

2 comments:

Mack Ade said...

The two shots off the Mets Apple in dead center were quite impressive.

Screw left field. Why test him? Use him exclusively as a DH.

Tom Brennan said...

I am looking forward to La Potencia II