5/10/22

Tom Brennan - Dead Ball Era Redux?


J.D. Davis may have to rely on dazzling, fancy glove work if the dead ball era persists

(My second article of the day - not bad for a retired writer - like your having free tickets to a day-night doubleheader - anyway...)

I was in the car Sunday, listening in sporadically, but when I got to tune in, apparently JD Davis had crushed 2 high drives at 107 MPH.  (No, I wasn't driving that fast, he was....)

Both clocked shots were caught.

Now it was quite windy.  The wind, they say, helped swat them down.

But he lost two HRs.  He got two outs instead.

So when you look at his season stats, they look like crap.

9 for 39, a HR and 3 RBIs.

Those 2 shots go out, his stats look pretty good: 

11 for 39, 3 HRs, several RBIs.

And a lot fewer renowned Facebook critics who say, "Yo, JD Sux."

Which got me to looking at dingers (not boogers) baseball-wide. 

Thru Sunday, no one had 10 HRs in the majors yet. Few had 9.

No one in double digits yet.  In all of the majors.

Hard to believe.

Pete shot - no, crushed - two long balls through the gale on Mother's Day.

"Mirabile dictu" Julius Caesar said to me excitedly.

How many HRs, though, would Pounding Pete have if the 2021 baseballs were still being used?

More than 7, no doubt. As many as 15, maybe?

Should, therefore, MLB donate all deadened baseballs to high schools and colleges, so the balls would travel less liberally than lectures to the baseball-illiterate do there...

....and bring back the high-flying, easy-gripping 2021 baseball to MLB, assuming no supply chain production issues, of course?

Unmask the power, Commissioner.  

If you have the balls to do it, of course.

If the Mets changed their team name to Nads, would the fans be chanting "Go Nads"?  Not sure why my mind went there, when this is an article about balls.

BTW, is it true that 29 other teams are in pursuit of Robinson Cano's services?  No, I didn't think so.  Jalisco may need a slow running 2B, though.   Hard to cross the border going south these days, though, without getting trampled.  Good luck, Robby.  I heard he just crossed the Rio Grande in a Cano, so he's safe.

I dunno, does this article belong in the dead-article file?  Did it have very little lift and carry?  Did I square it up only to have it land on the Ministry of Disinformation's Warning Track?  Or did I really launch one here?

I talk to baseballs while I watch TV.  No...really...poetically, too.

"Do not go gentle into that good night."

So, c'mon readers, put down your protest signs ("hay, wilpons suk") and launch some erudite and perspicacious comments in my direction, will ya?

I hope that in life, you travel high and far, and get treated like a treasured souvenir.  Just don't let Mack's tattoo guy autograph you.

I bid thee adieu.  Carry on.

6 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I think we should keep Davis what with the limited success so far from our starter at third.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, Davis is a keeper. Many don't like him. But he will hit, if the balls let him.

Tom Brennan said...

This article seems to be a dribbler to short.

RDS900 said...

If we keep Davis, keep him away from 3B.

Tom Brennan said...

Angels no-hitter last night.

Tom Brennan said...

Ray, JD Davis is a first baseman masquerading as a 3rd baseman. He needs to lead with his bat, and hope for a lot of DH opportunities.