5/15/22

Tom Brennan - The Dom Smith/Eduardo Escobar Blues

That retired writer, little old me is back again.  Spreading truth.

I'll jump right on and start with Eduardo Escobar first.

Escobar is in the midst of a major tailspin.

A writer should likely not admit he is not glued to the set, watching, every Mets game pitch, but I did tune in to see Escobar swinging through 91 MPH fastballs over the middle of the plate.

That....frankly...worries....me.

He is now 33 - and one must start to ask - is age-related decline suddenly showing up in the first year of his relatively expensive 2-year contract?  It shows up for many, many players, suddenly and unannounced.  It does not negotiate.  It just demands.

My answer?  Let Eduardo and JDD split 3rd base duties 50-50.  Then...

May the best man play.  Mark Vientos' slow AAA start keeps him out of the equation - for now.

Meanwhile, through Saturday's game, Dom Smith (the Mets' all-time leader, I must note, in season slugging % at .616 in 2020, albeit in a shortened season) is just 11 for 62 in 2022 (despite a 4 for 4, 3 RBI game) with no homers and a mere 4 walks.  

So, outside of the 4 for 4 game, he has been an utter 7 for 58 waste in 2022.

Looking back at 2021, he was one of an offensively struggling team's best hitters through July 21.  

After July 21, 2021, though, through season's end?  He went 30 for 142 (slightly above .200), with NO HRs, 7 doubles, and 6 walks.

So, this year and last year after July 21, he is hitting 41 for 204 (.200), with 10 doubles, no HRs, 24 RBIs, 10 walks, and 58 Ks.  Again, realize that the one "not too bad" stat there could be the result of pinch hitting with runners in scoring position.  The No Homer thing is frankly unfathomable.

Typically, there is a term for such a hitter: 

"Demoted major leaguer."

Perhaps "Ike Davis Syndrome" instead - Ike had seemingly great promise like Dom, both being 1st rounders who flashed real production at times - then Ike just stopped hitting. Ditto Dom.

Dom's hitting is entirely unsatisfactory.  Just admit it.  I have to. I really expected much more.

Absent an offensive explosion today, I would immediately demote Smith and let him get back on track, and call up Daniel Palka from AAA.  

Lefty slugger 1B/OF Palka, through Saturday, in a line up mind you that he has been largely naked in due to the brutally bad hitting of most of the Syracuse line up, has had 95 at bats and hit 9 HRs, and has also walked 17 times.

I noted the other day that Palka, in his last 846 ABs in AAA, has 47 doubles, 54 HRs, 153 RBIs, and also walked 150 times to boot.  Solid.

I have to believe Smith is the better talent of the two - but he is abjectly failing over multiple months.  

Give him a chance to hit every day in AAA and re-sharpen his bat.

Because, unless he is at first base where he is a decent defensive player, or at DH, he is a liability in the outfield.  Maybe, and I'd hate to think it, age related decline started pre-30 for the bulky Dom.  I hope not.

Palka in 2017 with the White Sox did have one glimpse of MLB quality: 

417 ABs, 27 HRs, 67 RBIs, .240.

So, I ask:

Why not shake things up?  It would also let Smith know he needs more than his smile to be a valuable big leaguer.  Every At Bat Counts.

Seasons can crumble for lack of offense.  Just look at 2021.


7 comments:

Mack Ade said...

It amazes me that this lack of hitting and questionable pen has created a team with the 2nd most wins in the league.

Really enjoy your retirement.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, it is something, huh?

I just keep seeing weird stuff. I mean, Dom Smith, at a power position, not having a homer since July 21, 2021? Incomprehensible.

Eduardo? I think Reyes dropped 57 points from age 34 to 35 - and 146 points from his batting title year to his last year - and I thought Jose with his fast twitch would defy age-related rapid decline. Wrong.

Mack Ade said...

MeGill on IL.

Right bicep 💪 inflammation

MRI to follow

Mack Ade said...

Colin Holderman to Mets

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to point out to some people here that I railed against trading Alonso in favor of making Dom the full-time first baseman. (Okay. Not sorry about that one bit.)
Dom just seems to be a guy who needs to be constantly motivated to give his best. I'll take Palka for a while, but I wouldn't expect much from him.
Bob W
Dom
Dom just seems

Gary Seagren said...

Tom I agree with you EE is dreadful and the rebound for Smith hasn't happened either and its time to do SOMETHING ....hey that's you Buck and I expect much better from you than what TC gave us.

Paul Articulates said...

I wish Escobar could turn his hitting around. He has been such a solid fielder. His positioning, decision making, and throws are outstanding. But unlike pitchers, position players have to hit to keep their job.
On the hopeful side, I have seen Marte staring to rip the ball - some hard outs and now some XBHs. Maybe it is contagious and Eduardo can get the hitting bug.