6/12/20

Mike's Mets - The Ugly Fight and the Road Ahead


The Ugly Fight and the Road Ahead


It was just about a month ago that I started writing about the beginning of the negotiations between MLB and the Players. At the time, although I knew there were significant differences between the two parties, I really bought into the hope that both sides would be able to put aside their differences and bring baseball back to the fans in early July. The last month has only proven to me how foolish and naïve my initial hopes were. Even the people who cover the game for a living, presumably much less naïve then I am, seem surprised and disappointed at how little sense of urgency has been displayed by both parties so far.

I was thinking this morning how much fun it would be right now if training camps were opening up and baseball was preparing for ballgames on the July 4 weekend. I would really enjoy sharing my thoughts on that, rather than commenting on these sad ongoing squabbles between the two parties. It reminds me of a couple that just can't help having the same argument over and over again in public, while their friends grow tired of watching it and wonder why both parties are so incapable of learning anything from past arguments.

Looking from the outside in at the incessant squabbling between MLB and the Union, I get the same uncomfortable feeling of resentment that I have when I'm forced to watch a couple air their private, petty grievances out in front of others. I also can't help but resent the fact that MLB's ugly month of non-negotiations has stolen all of the joy out of contemplating baseball's return. I started off reading new articles about the negotiations with hope and anticipation, now I just feel as if I'm getting the same bad news over and over.

It seems almost quaint at this point to remember back to me reassuring myself that baseball would still be satisfying even if it looked and sounded different than the game that I have been watching for so many years. Nothing has been less satisfying for a lifelong baseball fan to watch than this ongoing soap opera. Could someone please move this plot along a little? Can the people who own the clubs and control the game at least pretend that their responsibility to preserve a century-and-a-half of baseball tradition was at least as important to them as the possibility of finishing a few bucks in the red this season?

Joel Sherman has a piece in the New York Post today where he makes the point that there is still time for MLB and the Players to redeem the damage they've done to their respective reputations and to the game itself during this ugly public spat. Sherman notes that Rob Manfred has promised a new proposal coming that he characterizes as moving "MLB substantially toward the player position." It remains to be seen once the details emerge what MLB considers a substantial move, but considering the only offers they made so far have been egregiously non-starters, any real offer would be a welcome sight. One that led to real negotiations would be a joyous thing of beauty.

I thought this was an important point that Sherman made about the Club Owners:
There is a long runway for owners to make their money back. Forget collusion, if you pay more in salary than you want to for the good of the game in 2020, just cut payrolls in future years to make it back. Players do not have the same runway.
I mean, seriously, if the owners lose money in 2020, it's not as if they have no way of recouping those losses. There has never been a player contract handed out in baseball history that was unilaterally imposed on the club by the player. It's always under management's control to set a budget and make offers to players accordingly. Yeah, maybe the fans will grouse a little if they perceive their team as overly stingy, but the fans can't force a team's owner to spend a single nickel.

If MLB really does make an offer that starts up a true negotiation, it wouldn't surprise me if the momentum shifted quickly into getting a deal done and playing some baseball. Maybe the pointless bickering of the last few weeks will mercifully disappear into the rearview as I find myself writing about baseball again.

6 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

The elimination of the minor leagues this year really showed how onerous the owners can be when it comes to wielding the heavy stick. I fully expect them to force the players to return at whatever season length, post-season length and pay rate they desire. It will make for a very ugly negotiation after the 2021 season when a new CBA is negotiated.

Mike Steffanos said...

Just watching what happened this year I'm almost expecting a strike in 2022

John From Albany said...

Until Baseball getsca commissioner I can't see it getting any better.

Tom Brennan said...

With the illumination of minor-league ball this year, does anybody have a good feel on how these players are progressing or not progressing? What are they doing?

Tom Brennan said...

Elimination, not illumination LOL

Riajengenelen said...

Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..