6/21/20

Mack – Random Thoughts: Connor Wollersheim, Updated Top Prospect List, NDFAs, The Loss of A Season

 

Something wrong here. The Mets released 2019 8th round pick, LHP Connor Wollersheim.

He started 15 games for Kent State last year (6-6, 4.50) who impressed in both Kingsport (8-appearances, 1-0, 2.70) and Columbia (3-appearances, 0-0, 1.50) as a reliever. Problem was the combined 11 walks in 17 innings pitched.

I don’t have any explanation for this but my guess it is arm related.

 

 

Now that the draft is completed, I have updated my prospect list. It names only the players that I currently consider ‘red’ prospects. Three names from the draft have been added:

 

1.    SS  Ronny Mauricio

2.    C  Francisco Alvarez

3.    SP Matt Allen

4.    3B Mark Vientos

5.    3B Brett Baty

6.    SP Josh Wolf

7.    OF Freddy Valdez

8.    SP Thomas Szapucki

9.    SS Andres Gimenez

10. OF Pete Crow-Armstrong

11.SP JT Ginn

12. RP Ryley Gilliam

13. OF Isaiah Greene

14. OF Alexander Ramirez

15.SP Robert Dominguez

 

I really was excited going into the non-drafted free agent signing period last Sunday morning. Our GM and Co. once again did a top job in drafted in the early rounds, something he now has done three years in a row. He was interviewed a week ago Friday and spoke on how the city of New York was going to have a big say on where some of these kid sign, Bights lights, big city, tons on endorsements.

 

Well, what he forgot to mention was these players were not going to be eating a steak at Luger’s every night. Instead, they would share a fried shrimp basket with one of their roommates (GCL-Mets), or have a beef, three sides, and a sweet tea at a roadside in South Carolina (Columbia).

 

First, they got off to a slow start, signing no one the first day. And second, they did not deliver on one of the top names still out their on the market.

 

The whole process only once again exposed a fact we Mets fans already know… the Wilpons and how they run their business is not attractive to young players.

 

 

Most of the other writers here have already chimed in with their thoughts regarding the 2020 season. At this point, I really don’t care if they come back and have a 15-game season and 200 playoff games, or whatever the hell they are talking about now. Our Commish, Manfred Mann, can’t manage a bowel movement and the loss here will not only be a season and a couple of affiliates.

 

Late round minor leaguers played this sport for shitty wages for only one reason… to work at their dream of one day becoming a major league baseball player. Most don’t. A few, like Jeff McNeil, change their entire approach to this game and reinvent themselves at a new level, but frankly they turn out to be the exception.  

 

Forget covid. What we have witnessed this year could translate into a future strike. Kids, especially in the inner city, are turning to other sports to play in middle school. Even minor league coaches have begun to leave the game and get a legitimate job to pay their growing bills.

 

For me, after listening to Dr. Fauci’s prediction in October, I’m starting to worry about the football season. I can’t even begin to think a weekend without watching the Clemson Tigers and New York Giants without my daughter beside me.

 

This is truly a trying time for a sports fan. I would shit can the whole industry if I was around 30 years old. I’d spend more time perfecting my fiction writing (five unpublished novels) and learning how to read music and finger pick my Martin.

 

They would never fail me as much as this does.



9 comments:

bill metsiac said...

Happy Father's day, Mack!
I didn't realize that this was Brodie's 3rd draft. Time flies.

Interesting list. I hope we sign our top 2 picks. I read somewhere that Ginn is still thinking about returning to college. Does he pronounce his name with the hard "g" as in "gun" or soft as in "gel"?

Surprising to see that Gimenez is so far down at #9. Is it because he's dropped, or just that we have a lot of talent better than him?

Mack Ade said...

Bill

Back at ya.

Frankly I'm not sure how he says his own name. I hope it is Ginn as in WIN.

The only reason Gimenez now has dropped to #9 is I feel 8 other players have risen above him. He didn't lose one bit of his potential.

I especially am big big on Vientos.

Tom Brennan said...

Great top 15 list if we sign Ginn. Credit where credit is due.

Many read my Mack’s Mets articles and consider me a great fiction writer. Work on those books, Mack.

With COVID and the impasse, I feel for the young, marginal big leaguers whose time is now.

Reese Kaplan said...

I made a joke some didn't like that the Wilpons would not sign top dollar draft picks or would get ones already slated for college so they could at least say, "We tried." Apparently that joke is coming to reality.

TexasGusCC said...

Happy Father’s Day to all of you dads, I am not. As for the season, I’d like to see baseball but I’ve started divesting my emotions of it long ago and so this owner/player fight doesn’t bother me. I will say that when you own the business, you have bills. Players don’t have bills except at home, and owners have those too. The players feel they “deserve” something and while I say sure, I don’t think they’re being realistic. But, they are welcome to buy their own team or maybe start their own league?

As for the prospects, I think Giminez is better than #9 and What has Valdez done to deserve #7? I know it’s just an opinion, but this is a discussion... My take on Vientos is he will drop on lists alot. He isn’t a steady defender and he is Wilmer Flores-like slow. Vientos will be way back by next season. Also, let’s not forget Newton, a bad year doesn’t make the tools subside, and he was hurt.

Good stuff Mack,

Mack Ade said...

Tex

Thanks

Yes, prospect ranking is sugjective.

Vientos played last year at 18 years old. He is almost 2 levels ahead and was one the youngest player in that league.

I specically mentioned him in an earlier comment because I expected some push back here.

Still, I look for a 20+ home run season the next time he plays a full season.

Hobie said...

Love this stuff...

and...

as Ralph Kiner once said:
"It's Fathers' Day here at Shea, so to all you fathers out there... 'Happy Birthday!'"

bill metsiac said...

That's great to hear, Mack! If Gimenez hasn't lost his luster but others have leaped over him, it bodes well for our future.

bill metsiac said...

How slow? Brodie's moves have created room to offer our top guys over-slot money. Are you expecting our top 2 to turn that money down?