6/14/20

Mack - My Observations on the 2020 Mets Draft


 

These are my thoughts and my thoughts only.

 

1.    I called for multiple starters, multiple outfielders, and a catcher… they drafted multiple starters, multiple outfielders, and a catcher… check.

 

2.    Someone made a lot of sense on the MLB channel last night when he said that you can’t judge how a team has drafted unless you group three rounds together.  Let’s see:

 

2018 – Jered Kelenic (don’t say it… ), Simeon Woods-Richardson, Carlos Cortes

 

2019 – Brett Baty, Josh Wolf, Matt Allen

 

2020 – Pete Crow-Armstrong, JT Ginn, Isaiah Green

 

                                     check…

 

3.    As we will see when the numbers are announced, at least 90% of the allotted bonus money a team is allowed in this draft will be spent on the top three picks. They rest are considered ‘filler’ designed to make the numbers work.

 

4.    I think the Mets have learned their lesson and will no longer trade away their top three draft picks each year.

 

5.    I was a big fan of drafting college pitching this year, but I do like the trend the Mets are following by lining up high school seniors. Even the one college prospect here, JT Ginn, is a young draft eligible college sophomore who is only one year older than some high school seniors.

 

6.    I loved the first pick. I had a ‘power eight’ outfielder field, in order, of Zac Veen, Heston Kjerstad, Robert Hassell, Austin Kendricks, PCA, Garrett Mitchell, Isaiah Greene, and Daniel Cabrera. He’s everything we need as a future centerfielder… a better fielder than Juan Lagares, faster than Brandon Nimmo, the bravado of Pete Alonso, and has the potential to be a consistent .300+ hitter. I don’t care how many home runs he will hit. We will find them somewhere else.

 

7.    Ginn was a real bonus here. I had him 1.4 in my first mock, prior to his arm injury. The good news here is that the Mets medical and coaching staff have a lot of experience with TJS recovery. Will he sign?  Well, the Mets scout that signed him is a Mississippi State grad… 2019 pick, OF Jake Magnum is an ex-teammate at Mississippi State… I think there is a good chance he will sign, especially since the team seems to be clearing out over-slot money for him in rounds 3-5.

 

8.    I never expected Greene to be still around when we drafted him with the Zack Wheeler pick. He was definitely a top 50 pick in this draft. Close your eyes and imagine a 2014 outfield of Crow-Armstrong, Greene, and Freddy Valdez? Now, open your eyes. No, you aren’t dreaming. The future of the Mets outfield has solidified in one draft.

 

9.    None of us know just how many minor year teams we are going to have next season. My guess is two less, but things could remain the same. It really doesn’t matter if we sign anymore players this year as free agents… there are plenty already in the tube and more coming stateside from the Dominican League teams.

 

10. I would like to get the minor league team decision done so we can better align these additions up to what would be the existing teams. The GCL rotation could look crazy… Wolf, Allen, and Ginn (when healthy).

 

11. Overall, I give this abbreviated draft an A. If Ginn heals properly and returns to producing the kind of stuff he did in his freshman year… A+


10 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

As you know, I just did the recent article on Mets historical first round picks, and their history has been pretty poor. The draft in 2018, 19 and 20 have been excellent no other way to say it. If we had not traded the guys away from 2018, we would have a totally rocking minor league system. Sign Ginn, let the fun begin.

John From Albany said...

Mack - Great analysis and thanks for all the great draft coverage.

Now about that raise...

John From Albany said...

When I close my eyes I see Jake Mangum in Left(with an arm for Right), PCA in CF, Rany Adon in Right...all stealing 40+ every year with Endy as the first base coach. Great defense and speed. Think Adon and PCA will also bring power. Think this outfield could be here in as soon as 2 years.

Mack Ade said...

John

Thanks for your warm thoughts. As you can tell from the volume on the site this week, the work on the draft attracts readers.

As for the raise, seriously, I wish I could pay all of you something. I chose not to install a firewall on the site where I could have received sub. money that could have been shared, but I wanted to keep the site the way it was when I started it... a free site for Mets fans.

Truly, I am sorry.

Tom Brennan said...

Sometimes, the best things in life are free.

John From Albany said...

Mack. I was just kidding about the raise. We do this for the love of the game and the site.

Mack Ade said...

John

I know that.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

TexasGusCC said...

Hello boys! I apologetically interrupt the chiding with a few opinions. Mack, I also wanted at least one more starter and while I understand the need to save money on the last few picks, I don’t understand drafting a SS instead of a starting pitcher that just wants a chance. Also, I like the reliever drafted in Round 5. Two plus pitch relievers are fast risers. However, this group of drafters has earned our trust so I give them rope on the SS.

As I see the minor league system and seeing Allen finish in Brooklyn, I’d like to see the kid starting in Columbia. I don’t know if Wolf is ready and maybe he and Ginn should start in the GCL, I think Allen should try starting in A Ball.

I enjoyed the distraction this week of having something meaningful in baseball to talk about. The negotiations have nothing to do with me and I just don’t care. I understand both sides, but no matter what any fan thinks these guys don’t give a hoot.

John From Albany said...

Agree with you Gus, they don't give a hoot. Maybe if the owners appealed to a higher purpose from the first instead of their 20% of 40% or 70% of 50% game from the beginning it could have been different.

Riajengenelen said...

Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..