3/7/10

Artwork, Strong Start, Mejia, Tim Redding... and Sean Green

Artwork:

Fans get to see their favorite players through the artwork. Jeff Francoeur went for a beach look, a bit of a surprise, considering his love of golf.

“I picked a Tiki bar with a beach, because that’s kind of what I love,” Francouer said. “I love the beach in the offseason.”

Of the Mets’ session, Nancy Willis, the MLBPA’s apparel director, said. “Carlos Beltran was quiet but focused on the task and was really taking it seriously. He has a great eye for fashion and I think it is going to show in his design. Jason Bay was pumped about Canada hockey and you could tell that Canadian pride was on his mind.” - link



Strong Start:

So it is understandable why Manuel is emphasizing a strong start to this season, and not just because the organization wants to quickly flush the stench of 2009 and elevate the confidence in 2010. A strong start also is desperately needed for the 57-year-old Manuel to hold on to what probably is his last major league managing job.

“If we don’t get off good, I will be a target,” Manuel said. “I cannot react to that because I know it is 162 games. We need to win those early games, but not at the expense of jeopardizing the entire season. You can’t go bankrupt early.” - link

Mejia:

The Mets have many relievers in camp who could step up to take the set-up role including newly acquired Ryota Igarashi, Kiko Calero, and Kelvim Escobar. So why stunt Mejia’s growth by using him out of the bullpen? Why sacrifice a potential ace who could anchor the Mets’ staff for the next decade for a very good reliever who may never be able to start again? It just doesn’t make sense.
Let Mejia spend all of 2010 as a starting pitcher in the minors. Then in 2011 spring training we can all get excited as Mejia competes for a starting rotation spot. It has been a while since I have gotten this excited about a Mets’ pitching prospect, and I hope the Mets do the right thing so that we can eventually use him to his full potential -  - link

Tim Redding:

Tim Redding is hoping to land a spot in the Rockies' starting rotation. The Rox are in need of an additional starter to hold the place of Jeff Francis, who is making his way back from major shoulder surgery and might not be ready by Opening Day. Redding started Saturday's spring game against the Brewers and allowed three hits. "I’ll take it. I don’t know if I’m happy with it," the righty said of his outing. "I wasn’t able to pound the zone as much as I’m accustomed to. I got to be a little crisper than I was today." - link








Sean Green:


On Thursday, Sean Green’s two-thirds of an inning performance in the Mets 17-11 win against the Cardinals, gave me little hope as he gave up four runs on two hits and four walks. This after his much ballyhooed new delivery which was intended to give him better control and a consistent release point. The new delivery did none of that. Sure it was one spring game, but it mirrored what he already did for an entire season in 2009. The best thing the Mets could do is cut their weakest link by either trading him or sending him down to AAA-Buffalo where he can work on a delivery that will actually lead to better results. - link

-thank God they won this game

No comments: