3/5/10

ST Game Highlights, Jose Reyes, Bay Lost... and I Love The Mets

ST Game Highlights:

-two SS games against St. Louis...

-not much hitting from either squad, but lots of great pitching:

         Jenrry Mejia  -  2.1-IP, 0-ER, 4-K  0.00
         Jon Niese -  2.2-IP, 1-ER, 5-K 3.38
          Fernando Nieve - 3.0-IP, 1-ER, 2-K, 3.00
         Ryota Igarashi -  2.o-IP, 1-ER, 1-K, 3.00


Jose Reyes:

I really hope the patterns of 2009 don’t come back to haunt us. First, we lose Beltran, and now Reyes can’t play until he gets the results back from his thyroid examination. Last season, in many cases, the Mets mishandled the injuries to their team. We went from contenders to bums in just under a month.

I still have a lot of questions about this Mets team, but one of them shouldn’t have to be about the condition of one of our star players. The Mets should have said yesterday that he was going back to New York for testing. If the Mets were more straightforward with their fanbase, I feel there would definitely be less treading waters between the Wilpons and the fanbase. - link

Bay Lost:

You probably know that in the summer of 2002, as general manager Steve Phillips struggled with his twin addictions (sex and the mindless dispatching of useful outfielders), Jason Bay was traded by the Mets to the San Diego Padres. The Mets’ big prize in that deal was middle reliever Steve Reed, who Phillips just had to have to shore up the ‘02 Wild Card drive…you know, the one that ended in a ditch filled with bong water and regret. Bay’s big prize was the Rookie of the Year award he earned with the Pirates in 2004. Yes, San Diego was dopey enough to let him go, same as us, same as Omar Minaya’s Montreal Expos before us. The Mets were not alone in misunderestimating Jason Bay. But that doesn’t make Steve Phillips a visionary for telling a future three-time All-Star to get Lost. - link

I Love The Mets:

love this game. I eat, sleep, breathe, and basically function by the Mets. Some of my favorite moments have not been from regular season action, but from the spring training games. My younger brother and I still talk about the broken down ambulance, me dropping my camera in the middle of Route 80, and getting trampled in pursuit of The Autograph. ♥

This picture is from my first spring training game back in 2006. We were lucky enough to meet Omar Minaya in the Tradition Field parking lot and again after the game. We got this picture taken after the game because there was a more pressing issue for me at the time: "How's Pedro's toe?" - link

No comments: