9/18/10

Q&A Weekend: - Being A Mets Fan

Drew Swift wrote:



I agree, it seemed that around 2006 all band wagoners jumped on the Mets and they were the great thing in baseball. Now that they have not gotten the instant gratification they have gone back to the Red Sox, Yankees, or whomever they feel will get the job done. All the real Mets fans know who they are and that this too shall pass. Keep on written and keep us informed for the future. I will keep watching.  Remember, if being a Mets fan was easy, it wouldn’t be any fun. Go METS.

Drew, I will tell you one thing.

I have been a Mets fan since 1962, but I have become a better Mets writer when I stopped being a fan.

I don't hate the Mets now. And yes, I love it when they win, but they don't have to anymore.

Those of you out there that want to write for a living can not do their best if they are emotionally tied to what they are writing about. I see countless Mets blogs that specialize in one thing and one thing only... what the author thinks about the Mets.

Frankly, I don't think the primary reason most fans read us is because of what we think. I believe they read us because of the facts we report.

I've predicted the Mets would finish in third place for four straight years now, simply because I'm able to analyze this team, against other teams, without the disadvantage of being an emotional fan.

It's tough being a fan. Especially in New York. Lots of money, bunches of profit and no need to field a winner. A local fan base of 16 million people with stadiums and arenas that seat in the range of 15,000-50,000. I was a Rangers season ticket holder for years. Did they have to win when every seat was going to be sold anyway?

Stay a fan, Drew.








No comments: