9/25/10

Q&A Weekend - Self-Proclaimed Prognosticators v2.0

Hobie asked:

You are one of the most objective reporters out there, Mack (and I truly appreciate your bias to prognosticating where these guys will pick up their careers next Spring vs. projecting HOF careers or Chicottville). I doubt, however, that anyone can really separate what he observes from what he thinks. Decisions today in all venues (economics, social engineering, foreign policy, sports…) seem to be baked from a risky mixture of ambiguous information and a spicy overdose of wishful thinking. Maybe this is unavoidable—fact &opinion in solution, not a separable mixture of, say, salt & pepper.

Hobie:  -  thanks for the compliment... I try and keep my personal thoughts into a limited range. Plus, I just don't see the benefit of trashing young kids. I did that early on a few times and I learned first hand what effect that left on a young kid when one of the Mets told me that I had said something rotten about a young prospect and that it really hurt the kid.... since then, I practice a "say nothing if you can't say something positive"  policy and it seems to work better for both the readers and the players.  This site really is no longer a blog. It's a factual history of what others have said and what the players have produced. Thanks for hanging in there with me over the years.




No comments: