10/8/10

Q&A: - 1B - Travis Ozga

Mack: -  Morning folks. Today we're talking with the former 41st round pick in the 2009 draft, first baseman Travis Ozga. Morning Travis, thanks for joining us today.


Ozga:  -  No problem Mack, glad I could join you .


Mack: -  Travis, you were signed after being drafted in the 41st round of the 2009 draft, out of Florida Atlantic... tell us what that day was like? .


Ozga: -  It was a really exciting/nerve wracking day. I knew I had a pretty good chance of being drafted by the Mets and I knew it was probably going to be in the late rounds, but it's easy for doubt to creep into your mind when you see the rounds keep going by. I didn't stand by the computer or anything, so I think that help calm the nerves. I was actually sitting in my head coach's office at FAU when I got the news. We were just talking when all of the sudden he looked at his screen and very matter of factly said, "You just got drafted." I was very relieved at that point. I guess a bunch of my friends had been keeping a closer eye on the draft than I had, because I immediately got a bunch of calls. The next thing I did was call my dad and mom. To be honest, to this day, I still feel the rush of excitement I had on that day whenever I think about it. .


Mack:  -  Travis, correct me if I'm wrong, but I sort of remember you being a catcher also. True? .


Ozga: - Yes, I also can catch. I caught a little bit in college and have been keeping up with it ever since. Although it probably won't be my primary position, it's always nice to have that ability.


Mack: - Travis, keep it up. Being able to be a 3rd catcher can be the difference in a roster spot someday. Travis, you had trouble in 2009. Was it the lack of at bats, getting used to the grind, or a little of both? .


Ozga: - That's exactly what I've been told by everyone. At this point, I don't really care where I play as long as I'm in the line-up. As far as my first year, it was definitely a combination of both factors. I wasn't in the shape that I needed to be both mentally and physically. So I used this past off-season to really get prepared for what I needed to do. Now this off-season I also have some adjustments I need to make. Primarily really hitting the gym hard.


Mack: -  Travis, 2010 turned out to be fine... love that .500/.500/1.500/2.000 at K-Port... then .265/.321/.363/.684 in 204-AB for the Gnats... I know you went to school in Florida, but what did you think about that Savannah heat index this past season?


 Ozga: - The heat definitely takes a toll on you throughout the season. Being from Florida, I have worked up a tolerance to it, but it's one of those things you never really get used to. It gets just as hot and humid here in South Florida, but the main difference is that there was little to no breeze in Savannah.


Mack: - I played more comfortable baseball in Cambodia. Lastly Travis, the world is ahead of you. Everyone says that the first base job in Queens is taken for the next 10 years, but the Mets are one bad play away from looking for some solution.  You mentioned that you'll be hitting the gym a lot this summer. Should we be looking for a bulked up version of Ozga come March? .


Ozga: - Ha ha ha. I hear its nice this time of year. I am aware about Ike being "the man" over at first base, and rightfully so. In my brief encounters with him, he always seemed very nice. But like you said, baseball is a fickle sport, one never knows what the future holds. I plan on coming back around 210-215, which an average person would think is no problem. Considering that I weighed around 190-195 this past season, it will prove to be more of a challenge. I also have to consider how the added on weight will affect my speed, which surprisingly enough, was complimented by the coaches this past year.


Mack: -  Hey, you come in at around 215 and hit 30 homers for Lucy next year, don't sweat the running... you can walk around the bases. Seriously, thank you for your time and best of everything during the off-season.  You may be the only New York Met player being interviewed today...  I'll catch up with you on the back fields at Lucy in March.


Ozga: - Ha ha, that's the plan Mack. No problem what so ever, happy to do it. I look forward to talking with you.

Old Ozga stuff:

Ozga was drafted by the Mets in the 41st round of the 2009 draft.


From school website: - Senior (2009): Season Stats - Not only played excellent defense at first base but drove in 44 runs... one of just three four-year seniors on FAU's 2009 roster (William Block and Alex Pepe)... began the year hitting .423 in FAU's first seven games... went on to hit .400-plus through the first 14 games, helping FAU start the season 13-3... reeled off an FAU season-high 19-game hitting streak from March 1 through April 4... had 19 multi-hit games, including a team-leading seven games with three hits or more... doubled and scored two runs to help FAU beat No. 17 Florida (3/4)... went 3-for-5 with a season-high four RBI in an early-season SBC game vs. UALR (3/7)... went on to hit 10 doubles and four homers against Sun Belt Conference pitching... held an average of .331 as of May 5.. went 3-for-4 with a homer, double and two RBI against South Alabama (4/3)... had a season-high four hits and homered in a victory against Bethune-Cookman (4/15)... went 6-for-12 with three doubles in a late-season series at Western Kentucky (Apr. 24-26)... homered in four of his last six collegiate games and finished the season on a six-game hitting streak... matched a season-high by going 4-for-5, with a triple and four RBI in FAU's 16-6 victory over rival FIU (5/21) at the SBC Tournament in Troy, Alabama... hit a walk-off homerun in that game against FIU (5/21), ending the game (and FIU's season) in the eighth inning with the mercy rule... finished the season hitting .312 with eight homers and 68 hits, starting in 53 of FAU's 56 games hitting in the heart of FAU's batting order.


Frm: - http://www.sun-sentinel.com/  - Ozga (6-2, 215), a three-year starter, hit .312 this year with eight home runs and 44 RBI. He started in 53 of FAU's 56 games. Ozga went to Pope John Paul II before enrolling at FAU. It was the highest average of his career (.303 in 2008, .282 in 2007). Ozga, a switch hitter, can also play catcher.


7-8-10: - I know the last thing that Mets fans think they need right now is a new first base prospect, but trust me, no one is safe in the baseball world. The Yankees are considering trading Jesus Montero for Cliff Lee which makes one realize that there surely is a price out there for Ike Davis. I’m sure he’s not going anywhere, but it’s nice to know that they Mets seem to striking gold right now is Savannah with Travis Ozga. Ozga is a 41st round 2009 draft pick that played a little for the GCL Mets last season, and hit a little less than that: .194/.279/.226/.505. Frankly, I didn’t think he’d be back this season, what with Alex Gregory, Jeff Flagg, Eddie Lora, Luke Stewart, Alexander Sanchez, and Marinus Vernooij in the system; but I was wrong again, and Ozga reported to Kingsport… for one game. Savannah was looking for someone to spell Gregory, and the obvious move would have been to bring back Flagg, who was banished to Brooklyn after a slow start in April. Flagg has put his game together and I guess Mets brass like what they see in Coney Island… so up comes Ozga to Savannah. So far, this looks like a killer move. Ozga’s stats for the season for the Gnats are: .371/.425/.514/.939, with only 6-Ks and 4-BB.


10-7-10: - 2011 Forecast:  -  It's far too early to project out Ozga, and we really need to see him for another season to see what the Mets have here. Logic says he will move on the St. Lucie come the spring of 2011 and I hope they keep him there for the entire season.

No comments: