10/7/10

Q&A: - CL - Ryan Fraser

Mack: - Hey folks, today we're talking with the 16th round draft pick in the last draft, closer Ryan Fraser. Hey Ryan, thanks for participating.  Ryan, you were the 16th round pick by the Mets in the last draft. I ask this of all the guys... take us back and tell us what that day was like for you.... .


Fraser:  -  I am down in Ft. Myers, working on my craft. it feels good to be back in the sunshine state again. Not too many people know that I was born up Interstate 75 in Bradenton. I was eight when we moved to Tennessee, but I still have family that lives down here. They are excited to watch me play having played up north all year.


Draft day was a great experience. I knew that I was gonna get a chance but I had no idea what round or team would decide to take a chance on me. My dad and I had the draft pulled up on the Internet but I tried to stay away from it. Being a college senior, I didn't want to see my name slip towards the later rounds. My girlfriend and I were in and out of the pool, just enjoying life. When my name was called by the Mets in the 16 round, my dad, who had been following it like a hawk, started freaking out and going crazy. My girlfriend and I were in the living room watching TV. I thought my dad was joking until I saw my name on the computer screen. Then I got the call from Erwin Bryant, who liked me enough to draft me that high. That day was truly eventful and one that I will never forget. .


Mack:  -  So, you sign, and the Tennessee boy winds up in Coney island eating eight dollar hot dogs... what was that all about... ? .


Fraser:  - Its weird that would send me all the way up to Brooklyn instead of placing me on the Kingsport club. I know my parents would have rather me play there because it would have been a lot easier for them to come watch. I guess Erwin liked me enough to send me up to the higher level, that and Wally needed another back end pitcher. I'm glad that I was a good fit to play there. NYC was a completely different atmosphere from anything that I have ever experienced. I believe playing in front of so many fans every night is about the closest you can get to playing at Citi Field than any other of the Mets affiliates, or at least that's what I have heard. I had a blast and couldn't ask for a better summer. .


Mack: - Ryan, I can't tell you how much it helps to play in front a crowd like that early in one's career.


Anyway, all you go and do is pitch in 26 games, go 3-3, 1.44, strike out 39 in 31.1 innings, and become the top closer prospect in the organization.

Ryan, how far back do you go as a closer? .


Fraser: - Well, to be honest, this summer was the first time that I have pitched in that role. I was always a starter or middle reliever. I only closed one game at Memphis this year. We snapped a 13 game losing streak to our rival Ole Miss. I liked being a closer up in Brooklyn, but the rumor is that they might turn me back into a starter next year, so we will see.


Mack:  - I hope that happens. Right now, the system is a little short on power starters (just wrote about that, and you, earlier today...). Let's bring everyone up to date with what you're throwing and the mph range you played with this season. .


Fraser: -  I don't throw anything special. I have three pitches: fastball, slider, and change-up. I think I can get my fastball up to 95, slider about 79-81, and my change-up is a bit stiff around 83.


Mack: - I'd say a 95mph heater is something special... Ryan, that's about it for now. Thanks for the time spent.

Old Ryan stuff...

Round 16 - #482 overall pick - 2010 - RHP - Ryan Fraser

http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/fraser_ryan00.html  - 2009 (Junior) - Split time between starting and relieving in his first season of Division I ball...Made starts in nine of the 13 games he pitched in...Started in his first six appearances and was 2-3 as the Tigers' No. 2 starter before control problems moved him into the bullpen...Worked as a midweek starter in his final three starts of the season...Fared well as the top midweek starter, going 1-1 with 10 strikeouts in 13 innings and a no decision...Memphis won five of the nine games he started in...Worked out the bullpen in the last three appearances of his junior campaign...Posted a 3-5 record to go with a 7.04 ERA...Logged 47.1 innings on the hill and struck out 29...Struggled with control, walking 31 batters...Lost his first two decisions...Fanned a career-best seven in seven innings in a 6-0 blanking of Valparaiso (3/7/09)...Went 3-4 with a 6.18 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 39.1 innings as a starter...Held Indiana State to one run in six innings to pick up a 20-1 U of M win (3/14/09)...Earned a 16-6 win after striking out six in five innings in his first midweek outing versus Arkansas State (4/7/09)...Took the loss versus Mississippi State despite a strong five-inning outing in which he allowed three runs on six hits. (5/12/09). - Prior to Memphis: - A 49th Round Draft Pick of the Tampa Bay Rays in the 2006 First Year Player Major League Draft...Pitched in both the starter and reliever roles in two years at Gulf Coast Community College...Posted a 11-10 record with a 5.21 ERA...Fanned 111 batters in 138.2 innings of work. - Prep: - Was a two-sport standout on the baseball and football fields at Walker Valley High School...Lettered two seasons as a pitcher, shortstop and first base for head coach Mike Turner...Helped guide Walker Valley to a District and Region Runner-up showing in a 25-10 senior season...Went 6-0 on the mound in his junior year to help WVHS to a District and Region championship...Was a two-time All-District selection...Earned All-Region and All-Area accolades as a senior...Was a two-year letterwinner as quarterback and safety on the WVHS football team.

11-21-07 from: - http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/112107aaa.html  - University of Memphis Head Coach Daron Schoenrock wrapped up the early signing period by inking Florida Gulf Coast pitcher Ryan Fraser to a National Letter of Intent. A 49th Round Draft Pick of the Tampa Bay Devils Rays in the 2006 First Year Player Major League Draft, Fraser joins Drew Martinez, and Bartlett High standouts Jacob Wilson, Heith Hatfield and Trey Turner as Memphis' 2008-09 signing class. One of four GCCC players to sign with four-year institutions, Fraser signs with the Tigers after a freshman campaign in which he pitched in both starter a reliever roles. He posted a 3-5 record with a 4.55 ERA. A native of Cleveland, Tenn., the 6-3 righthander fanned 34 batters in 55.1 innings of work to help Gulf Coast to a 32-18 season. The Commodores notched a seventh-place finish in the Florida State Tournament after claiming the runner-up trophy with a 15-10 record in Panhandle Conference play. A two-sport standout, Fraser had an award-winning prep career at Walker Valley High. He lettered for two years as a quarterback and safety on the gridiron, but shined as a dual position player in two seasons on the diamond for Coach Mike Turner. Fraser earned All-Region and All-Area honors after guiding WVHS to a 25-10 mark as a senior. The two-time All-District selection compiled a 6-0 record on the mound as a junior en route to helping Walker Valley both Region and District titles

7-22-10 – Fraser is one of those newbie draft picks that we all don’t know much about, but I can tell you this. He’s off to a rocket start at Coney Island. The 6-3 righty Fraser threw his fifth save of the season last night, which brought his seasonal stats to: 11-G, 0-1, 0.63, 0.83, and an incredible 23-K in 14.1-IP. Definitely someone we need to learn more about.

8-1-10: - Frase is one of this year’s draft picks, who’s working as the Borkklyn Cyclone closer. The kid is off to a tremendous start. Last night, he pitched another scoreless ninth inning in his 15th game this season and he still has only given up one earned run all year (20.0-IP). Add to that 0.45, 0.85, 27-K, only 9-BB, and a BABIP of .216… well, as we said before, nice start…

8-7 from: - http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/news/topstories/index.html?article_id=929  - Fraser is tied for fourth in the league with seven saves. He has an 0.43 ERA in 16 games, all in relief. In 21.0 innings, Fraser has allowed just eight hits and two runs (one earned), while striking out 28 batters. Opponents are hitting .119 against him, lowest in the league. Ryan-- a 21-year-old native of Cleveland, TN -- was selected by the Mets in the 16th round of the 2010 June First-Year Player Draft, out of the University of Memphis (TN).

9-27-10 from: - http://www.amazinavenue.com/2010/9/27/1704156/minor-league-season-in-review-brooklyn-cyclones  - Fraser possessed the most powerful arm on the entire Brooklyn staff in 2010, blowing NYPL hitters away as the Cyclones' closer. After being drafted in the 16th round this June out of Memphis, Fraser flew out of the gates, allowing just a single earned run through June & July. He slowed down in August, allowing three runs for the month but more importantly, walking batters A LOT more often (2.6 BB/9 in July vs. 7.9 BB/9 in August). Fraser's story sounds a lot like Bobby Parnell's: Big, strong righty fireballer with undeveloped secondary stuff and spotty fb command drafted in the middle rounds out of a solid college program in the South, bouncing between starting and relief in college. Fraser is already in the 'pen as a pro but there are rumblings that the Mets want to see what he can do as a starter. Like Parnell, I see Fraser moving fast once they commit to a long-term role as a high-velocity reliever.

10-5-10: -  2011 Forecast: - Fraser seems to be a very confident young man who has the world ahead of him. It will be interesting to see how the Mets handle him in the Instruction League this month. This would be a good time to stretch him out if they have plans to return him to a starting role next season. Where would he start? It's pretty crowded from Lucy to Brooklyn, so who the heck knows? My guess, if he's a starter: a return to Brooklyn. If a closer: Lucy.

No comments: