10/2/10

Q&A Weekend: - Chad Cordero and Jose De La Torre

Hobie asked...


 I wouldn't mind them hanging on to Chad Cordero and Jose De La Torre either. You?

First, Cordero.

I love picking up these guys, for nothing,  that used to be great. Omar Minaya has been famous for this and it definitely paid out this past year with R.A. Dickey.

You have to be willing to sign a bunch of Larry Broadway type players to find one, and Cordero could be another one that would pan out.

Frankly, I'm not sure if most of these are just example of a Omar gombah charity move and I would expect Cordero to be doing everything he can to get another club to give him a major league deal in 2011.

De La Torre is a completely different story. One thing I have to learn when I write about these kids, is you can't simply judge them on the few times you see than and the stats the produce. As one scout said "always go with the tools".

You have to trust the brain trust around these kids and the word I've always got is that De La Torre is a great AA-AAA relief pitcher, but doesn't project out at the major league level (no one loves a 5'9" pitcher). I don't know how someone can determine that until they are given a chance, which De La Torre definitely deserved during this past season.

Let me tell you...  Josh Thole wouldn't be catching in Queens this weekend if the only factor was tools.

2010 (combined AA/AAA: 3-2, 2.69, in 51-G) was his 5th season with the Mets, but he was out for the complete 2008 season. I expect him to play AAA again in 2011.

No comments: