10/9/10

Q&A Weekend - Mets 2011 1st Round Pick

Marcus asks: -    Mack, you specialize in both the Mets and the draft. The Mets will get the 13th pick in the 2001 draft. Who do you think they will pick?

Good question.

First of all, it's early in the draft process, but I can speculate where I think the picks will go if the draft was tomorrow.

Also, let me explain my "mock draft" procedure for those of you new here... I average the last 10 mock drafts that have come out from the so-called experts on the net. They range from scouts, to major sports sites. Some people think doing it this way is from hunger. Others comment how close I get it each year. Me? I just do it because I, the kids, and their parents out there, love to see names in print.

Anyway...

Right now, there are eight (8) tier one players that will be long gone before the Mets pick. They are, in no particular order, 3B Anthony Rendon, RHPs Gerrit Cole, Dylan Bundy, Sonny Gray, and Taylor Jungmann, OF Jackie Bradley Jr. and LHPs Matt  Purke and Daniel Norris.

Past that, there are six additional players that make up the tier 2 players.  They are RHPs Archie Bradley, Jack Armstrong, and Trevor Bauer, LHP Danny Hultzen, and OFs Dwight Smith and Travis Harrison.

Any one of these six would be the Mets pick if the draft was picked tomorrow.

(And, if it was Travis Harrison, I'd be dancing in the halls...)

No comments: