11/12/10

Carlos Beltran

Michael G. Baron
I listened to the Beltran press conference on Thursday.



Look, in my book, all this guy ever did wrong as a Mets was get hurt and not hit like he did in that one Houston playoff series.



I like Carlos Beltran as a Met. He’s a legitimate star on a team that needs more stars. He’s a great defensive outfielder and he consistently hits 30/100.


Yeah, I know he costs a lot, but so does shrimp. It ain’t my money and I’d love to have him finish his career with the Mets.



What would be so wrong if this guy healed up in the off season, played back into his all-star way in 2011, and the Mets sign him to an additional 2-years (2012-2013), with a team option for 2014?



You’re not going to have to pay him $18+mil per year money for that extension. Maybe 7-9 per. Well worth the investment for a 30/100 dude.



Now, you have Beltran and Bay locked up through 2013 and all you have to do is fill one more slot between Angel Pagan, Fernando Martinez, and whatever free agents you want to consider.



Piece of cake.

From David: Mack, I concur entirely, as Beltran has been the most under-appreciated star I think we've ever had in Flushing! When healthy, he's one of the 6-7 best all-around players in the game, and he plays the "marquee" position in baseball, centerfield. I don't think we'd be able to sign him for less than $15 million per season, considering who his agent is and all, but it's not like we have anyone who can guarantee that kind of production if we tried to replace him and it would certainly cost substantially more than what his asking price will be. Look, he's already said he'd like to finish his career with the Mets; put a healthy Beltran and Bay onto last year's team for a whole season and you had a Wild Card club. Beltran can do it all, and plays hurt- sadly, to his detriment oftentimes- but he's a true gamer and unlike other free agents (Carl Pavano, I'm talking to you) he didn't wilt under the bright lights of the big city of Nueve' York! To me, re-signing Beltran is a done deal, and a healthy Beltran is going to put up some great numbers in 2011. I hope it'll be in the orange and blue!!

No comments: