10/5/11

I May Be Wrong, But…

1. I spent all day Wednesday on the phone with various “Metsies”…  I call them that because they all have the same thing in common… their jobs involve the New York Mets. Anyway, the one common feeling in Metland is that Sandy and Company is going to go all in on this rebuilding program. That will include trading David Wright, making a weak offer to Jose Reyes, and not offering with Angel Pagan or Mike Pelfrey arbitration. I’ll believe it when I see it and I will say that all parties said it only “their feeling”, but the amazing part was 100% of the people I talked to believe this. A lot of this seems to be based on the financial loses the team is having, which are far past the Madoff mess. Forget the lawsuit; the team lost $70mil in 2011 and they have big problems with deadlines they have for monies owed.  

2. Nothing, I repeat, nothing happens with this team until the Jose Reyes drama is over. He affects every aspect of every future direction this team will go. Sadly, decisions on players like Pelfrey and Pagan will probably have to be made before Reyes’ agent ends the phone calls. Others, like Daniel Murphy, Nick Evans, and Josh Satin, have increased 2012 value if Ruben Tejada has to move over to shortstop. Even rotation slots are affected if the Reyes money can be used in the free agent market. I wish the Mets would make their offer and put it on the table with a proper deadline. Let’s say $20mil for 5 years. If they turn it down or say they will have to get back to the Mets when all the other offers come in… well, just say thanks, but no thanks, and tell the Mets fans that Jose said no to playing baseball in New York City for around $1.8mil… a month. I don’t think you’d have that many problems after that with the fans and the team could get on with it.

3. Right now, my 2012 team is:
SP:  Santana, Niese, Dickey, Gee, Schwinden
RP:  Beato, Parnell, Acosta, Thayer, Byrdak, Herrera, Stinson
IF:  Dave, Murphy, Turner, Tejada, Wright, Satin, Thole, Nickeas
OF:  Bay, Duda, Evans, Baxter, Martinez,
75-89  -  4th Place

4. I’m “out of pocket” next week. I will have the laptop with me but I’m not sure if my destination has wifi. I do know that I will not be able to take my cell phone with me. Gone Sun-Sat.  I will have a bunch of stuff already programmed into the site and the other writers will have my back. Hopefully, I’ll be able to post more.

5. I haven’t watched any of the playoff games. Sort of lost the ole baseball spirit lately what with all the lack of Met recognition for what I do. The one thing that has kept me going this past week has been talking with the likes of Dylan Owen, Josh Satin, Chris Schwinden, Mark Picca, Brian Harrison, and Cole Frenzel (all those interviews will be up on the site in the next week). It’s the minor leaguers that keep the juices flowing.

No comments: