10/7/11

I May Be Wrong, But…



1. All this David Wright trade speculation has my head spinning. It’s hard to imagine a Met lineup without him, but it’s also hard not to get excited about the possibility of having a 2013 rotation that starts with Pomeranz, Wheeler, Harvey, and Niese. Automatically, this allows Familia and Mejia to become your 8th/9th inning guys and we all learned how important those positions are in the Detroit/Yankees series. A Mets team without Jose and David. Whoda thunk it?

2. Speaking of SPs, an addition of Drew Pomeranz would just about assure a dominant rotation through the 2013-2019 period. There is that much depth in the pipeline right now. The six pitchers I listed above are all young enough to be around that long, and you still have to consider making room someday for guys like Michael Fulmer, Domingo Tapia, Akeel Morris, Juan Urbina, and Luis Mateo. In addition, most of last year’s draft picks haven’t even gotten started yet and I’m sure there will be another couple of studs in the first five picks the Mets have in the top 100 2012 draft picks (if Reyes leaves). This is how great teams are built.

3. I don’t particularly root against the Yankees but I have lived with them hanging over my National League head since the days I would go to Ebbets Field. There always was a feeling that they were in a different class than us low-life Dodger or Mets fans and I take pleasure in watching a team like the Tigers send “the team that money could buy” back to their living rooms. You can easily build a champion team in five years and you don’t need a fat paycheck to do it. Detroit is a perfect example of what your Mets are going to operate like. Get used to it and, by the way, it’s not like the old way really worked, did it?

4. I noticed that Jose Reyes made some comment last night about the Mets not contacting him during this exclusive period that only your ex-team can negotiate with you. Silence does sometimes speak volumes, but, in this case, I think the Mets want Reyes to dictate his future. Trust me, Sandy and Company have both a Plan A and Plan B on the board and they’ll sleep well either way. I have been a big proponent of keeping both he and David, but the thoughts of two more first round picks + a package that included Drew Pomeranz is hard not to write about. Hell, I just did three times in this post.

5. I’ve been off my mark this week. I have two friends dying of cancer and I wait every day for bad news. Add to that the loss of Steve Jobs and the HBO premiere of the George Harrison documentary and I feel quite human lately. I don’t happen to believe there is anything past my life. I’m all in on the scientific theory of life and I can’t imagine a place where trillions of human and animal spirits are floating around, no less a single being knowing everything that ever happened about all of them. Jobs put death the best. He said “even people that know they are going to heaven don’t want to die to get there”. I get closer to that time every day and I wake up every morning knowing I have one more chance to do something good. Today it is this column and talking Mets baseball later on with a guy named Gary. That’s all I can do.

No comments: