5/22/13

Mack Ade - Harveyday



We’re going to try and stay on the positive side of the fence in Met-land, though I have to tell you, there isn’t much land allocated over here right now. Today is going to be that rare one-in-five days that it’s fun watching this team, which means Matt Harvey is on the mound. It’s absolutely amazing how much one person can mater on a ball club.

I caught an interview the other night with Atlanta Braves pitcher Julio Teheran and the reporter asked him what it was like to get a fur run lead in the top of the first inning. Teheran laughed and said it made the whole difference in the game.

The Mets seem to have a completely different swagger when Harvey pitchers. Even Ike Davis strikes out with a little more giddy-up in his swing.

I’m obviously writing this before game time and I have no idea how this game is going to come out. My big decision is whether to hold this and add it to tomorrow’s morning report (with an update window) or post it pre-game time. Frankly, I’m writing it while sitting in the reception area of my ear doctor’s office and it all depends upon whether I complete this before the appointment starts.

We should know by the end of today where Rafael Montero will pitch his next game. Sandy Alderson was drooling on SNY yesterday during the game, thinking about a 2014 rotation that begins with the words Harvey, Wheeler, and Montero. Everybody told me I was crazy when I said Montero would be ready then and you were all wrong. These three will lead the way in 2014, throwing the ball to a guy with a last name that starts with a little ‘d’, and a team that has a Korean centerfielder (yes, I know, he would fit better in right, but he’ll play center until the other guy with the last name that starts with a small letter ‘d’ is ready.

Lastly, word is the Mets are checking the waivers sheets every hour looking for someone that can fill in at first base. Once they find him, they will option Davis down to AAA for at least a month to clear his head and start the season over. I’m not sure of the long term ramifications here, but it will be interesting come the off-season and arbitration discussions set in. Davis is paid a decent amount of money based on his great finish in 2012. Well, that just doesn’t exist anymore in money-land and I’ll be curious to see how this negotiation is handled between the Mets and Davis’ agent.

Anyway, I am going to post this early so, enjoy the game and we’ll talk about it in tomorrow morning’s report.

Mack

1 comment:

Michael S. said...

Signing Choo and trading for at least one other OF will go a long way towards curing what ails the Mets.