4/25/19

Mike Freire - Fleeting Thoughts



Good Morning from the lovely Georgia Mountains, Mets' fans!

Since I apparently do not have enough "normal" stress in my life, I have decided to add a little extra to make things interesting!  So, over the past few months, my lovely wife and I have decided to simultaneously "pull the plug" on our respective careers and give this little thing called "retirement" a try.  

But that isn't enough of a change, so we also put our house up for sale recently and as luck would have it, we received a full price offer within 48 hours and we are now going through all the administrative steps prior to the actual sale.  

AND, we are also actively looking to move to a different State and start a new chapter in our lives.

No big deal, right?  Unemployed and homeless isn't so scary (wish us luck)......no more stressful the watching the Mets play lately.  I know, enough whining about me and get on with the Mets' content already.

1. Is it just me, or does the media confuse and/or annoy you at times?  A few nights ago, the Mets and Phillies locked horns in New York with the Mets winning the ballgame 5-1.  There were several interesting story lines during the game to include the top two teams (record wise) in the division playing for first place.  

Additionally, you had Steven Matz earning some redemption by starting and pitching well for the Mets in his first appearance since his epic meltdown in Philadelphia a few days prior.  

BUT, the major media outlets chose to focus on Bryce Harper's childish antics during the game that got him tossed out in the fifth inning with very little mention of the actual baseball game itself.

What the hell?  Oh and for good measure, they also "praised" good old Bryce for the number of ejections that he has been a part of, like some badge of courage instead of what it really is (poor sportsmanship and immaturity).  He is very talented, but he is also damaged goods.  Just wait until is first prolonged slump in the "easy" media market of Philadelphia!

2.  I would be lying if I mentioned that I was not concerned about the state of our pitching staff, both at the major league level and in the upper levels of the minor leagues (i.e. depth).  

Yes, it is good news that Jake seems to have avoided serious injury and Zack Wheeler's last outing was spectacular, but there are still questions that need to be answered long term.  Which version of Jake will come back from the IL?  Which version of Steven Matz and Zack Wheeler is the real deal?  What the hell is wrong with Thor?  To Vargas or not to Vargas?

Past the current rotation, the recent replacements have been even more frightening which doesn't give the average fan much hope in the short term if there are injuries or continued sub par performances.  

Is there anyone in AA or AAA that you would feel comfortable with in that scenario?  Are guys like Flexen and Oswalt just "AAAA" types?  Should BVW look outside of the organization for a pitcher or two as the season moves along?

3.  On the topic of pitching and the myriad of questions that were laid at your feet in #2, I am still a fan of signing Dallas Keuchel sooner, as opposed to later.  Perhaps teams are waiting until after June 1st so the draft pick compensation that is attached to his free agency drops off?  

Regardless, he is a talented left-handed pitcher with playoff experience who would represent an upgrade over Jason Vargas right away.  Plus, it also helps your depth problem with Vargas moving to a bullpen role, but still available to start a game, if needed.

Plus, unless something changes, Zack Wheeler and Jason Vargas will not be on the roster next year (pending free agents).  So, your 2020 starting rotation will have two vacancies and I would like to think signing Dallas now would be cheaper than his price tag will be before the start of the 2020 season.  

That does not even touch on the vacant fifth spot in the rotation AND the lack of alternatives in the upper minor leagues.  It is bordering on a "no brainer", in my humble opinion.

4.  Lastly, can we schedule an exorcism already?  What is going on with the injuries that this team has been saddled with?  It isn't just this year, either.  A lot of elbow issues with the pitching staff and a random assortment of injuries with the position players (I am looking at you, Brandon Nimmo).  

Does the "Strength and Conditioning" program need to be looked at?  Do the players need a different diet or perhaps a better stretching program?  Call me crazy, but when a problem consistently occurs in any organization, the simplest explanation is often the most accurate.

***Oh and as a bonus item, good for you Jacob Rhame!  I enjoyed his "accidentally on purpose" series of messages that he sent to the Phillies via Rhys Hoskins last at bat on Tuesday night.  

It seems that "old school" baseball has slowly started to fade away, but when one of your pitchers stands up for his teammates, it is a return to normal if you will.  Enough of our hitters getting plunked on the hands!

Until next time, have a safe week.
 

9 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Harper is a media magnet - and sometimes a moaner and moron.

Good luck on everything with the move - have you considered becoming a - beat writer in Syracuse? No, I didn't think so.

Vargas is good for another few starts - will we, however, see him throw 6 innings again in our lifetime?

I wonder if the Mets are hoping that Anthony Kay could be ready by mid-season for a call up to replace Vargas, but keeping it under their hat. He looked really good the other night - and he works FAST!

Reese Kaplan said...

I would have chacterized Harper as a media maggot, but that's me. :)

I had said yesterday that with nearly identical records the smarter play would have been Gio, but that ship has gone to Suds Town.

Kay may be one of the solutions for next year. Whether or not Wheeler is here is as much his decision as it is the Mets'.

Tom Brennan said...

Reese, if Wheeler keeps pitching like that, they'll wish they'd already extended him.

I know the normal progression of pitchers to the big leagues - but Kay's fastball was rocking, and his curve was great - I just wonder if his path will be accelerated, but only if he can consistently dominate.

I thought reliever Ryley Gilliam might be walking on water, but he had a bad night, so I have tempered my excitement on him.

I am surprised Matt Blackham is still in AA - he has a live arm and I saw a very nice dipping change by him the other day. He seems like a viable Mets pen guy.

Jim said...

I love Wheeler, have always had unwavering support of him, but the injuries, sigh.

People had all these theories on him, deep analysis, and the answer was alway right there: he wasn't healthy, hasn't been healthy for most of his career. Now we're seeing the real guy.

I'd be very reluctant to sign him to a long contract. Huge health risk, IMO. I think he's gone. Always struck me as a future Brave.

My play is to extend the hitters and build around that. Build a quality bullpen. And try to figure out the starters after deGrom, Syndergaard, Matz.

Conforto, next up. Get that done. Consider an offer to Alonso.

Jimmy P

Tom Brennan said...

Jimmy, I think the next 3 starters coming to Queens will be Kay (pretty Quickly), Tony Dibrell (late 2020, perhaps?) and Richardson (2021). Maybe Peterson, but he has to be better.

Szapucki? if he can ever get really healthy, perhaps. He has lost most of 2 years in "Injured Zach" mode.

Mack Ade said...

Harper is such as asshole.

I love his reaction when their second baseman came close to slamming into him at what seemed like a routine play for a right fielder coming in for the ball.

Sort of like." get out my way... I am God and this is my outfield.

What an asshole and has been a headcase, even in middle school.

Regarding Mets pitching, I have confidence that starters 1-4 will earn their keep this year, but you can't win with a fifth starter going around 4 innings and handing the ball over to a pen now being called upon too early.

But...

If you create a 7 inning piggyback with someone like Lugo... name them Vargalo... and NEVER, I repeat, NEVER PITCH VARGAS PAST 4 INNINGS. I don't care if end up 4-IP, 0-R, 0H, thia is his complete game.

Why not?

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, I long for the day Vargas can give us FIVE innings...man, what a day that will be. If you have a lead when Vargas comes out, I would let Lugo take it thru the 7th inning, minimum, if not the 8th. We have to win 40% or so of games that Vargas starts.

Mack Ade said...

Or...

try something different...

start Lugo for 5 innings and then hand it over to Vargas

Tom Brennan said...

Sounds scary