1/27/20

Mack - A Eulogy For Lizzie Belle




I have written eulogies before, but never for a four legged friend.

And I have lost before. Both parents. Family members. Friends and co-workers.

But I have never felt the kind of loss I feel today after watching my family dog, Lizzie Belle, cross over.

Lizzie came in to our lives around 13 years ago when our son brought this chocolate lab puppy into the living room of my daughter's house. It was love at first lick for me.

I would take her for long walks in the horse fields that bordered my daughter's property. She would show me her begging eyes, hoping that I would say, yes, it's okay to jump in the lake, but I held out.

I would first run her in the field on our property with a neighbor's dog and it would amaze me what her speed and agility was. At other times, I would drive her to the fenced in softball field at our local high school and play catch with her for hours.

Forget bone. There was never a bad drop of blood in her body. The only time I ever heard her bark was when my wife would enter the house and she would beg for a piece of cheese or when she wanted to play.

We would play this endless game of tug-o-war. I would try to face her, rubbing her ears. She would butt up to me in hopes of a petting there.And we would celebrate her birthday by dressing her up (see pic).

Time seemed to stand still when it came to Lizzie, but a nagging cough caused my daughter to bring her into the Vet for a 'check-up' only to find out she needed an X-Ray. That showed terminal lung cancer and she was given until Christmas to pass.

But Lizzie would hear nothing of this. My wife and I spent hours with here every work day while my daughter and son would go to work and the kids went to school. She held her ground until yesterday morning when fell.

They called us and told us it was bad and we immediately headed over. I had to see this for myself. Lizzie would always jump up and play with me the minute I came in the room.

But this was different. She was laid out on the floor and could barely turn her eyes towards me, no less move her head. It was then I knew...

We were all with her when she passed this morning. My wife and I decided to leave Melissa and Sid alone with her before the Doctor came in, but Lizzie would not let my wife leave the room.

It's night now and we are back in our house with our Maggie-May, but I just can't stop crying. In fact, I can't talk. About anything.

I loved this dog that much... and I thought I would share this with you.



7 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

Dogs are more loyal, happy and stress-reducing than the vast majority of people. That's why I have no kids but four dogs. I feel you pain.

Reese Kaplan said...

Your not you

John From Albany said...

Great eulogy. Sorry for your loss.

Tom Brennan said...

So sad to lose such a great friend. Dogs are often so much more human than humans should be but are not. Sorry for your great loss.

TP said...

Mack,
My condolences. Yes, dogs may be just animals and not people, but some are so loving and loyal that it is impossible not to feel a huge void when they depart. Ours is very close to the finish line as well...

Jack Flynn said...

She was a champion. I wish I had met her.

Tony said...

So sorry for your loss. They leave such deep and lasting memories.