3/31/21

Tom Brennan - LUIS GUILLORME'S BODY OF WORK











A draft-timeframe pic of a then 5'10", 170 Luis Guillorme from a 2013 Macks Mets picture.

The former 10th rounder has defied the experts so far, and plans to keep it up.


Anyone that has followed Luis Guillorme over the years in the minors and after he made it to the big leagues knows he's got a glove.  A darned good one.

Those who have followed him more closely know that he is also a relentless worker.  Diligent work usually pays off.

Speaking of diligent work, I recall training for my one and only marathon in 1981. 

Five months before it, before I ramped up my training, I ran a 40:15 10 kilometer race.  I finally broke 41 minutes, but man, did I want to break that 40 minute time so badly.

But try as I might, I couldn't quite pull it off.  Not enough diligent work.

Roll forward to the NYC Marathon in late October, after averaging for the 8 weeks pre-race about 30 fast miles of training per week (I had neither the patience, nor the time, to run a slow 50 mile week more suited to marathon training, so I'd run 7 minute miles in training).  

I ran a 3:25.  Considering I'd only run a distance once above 13 miles (a 17 mile training run), I was pretty happy with 3:25. 

My wife was just happy I lived to tell about it.

A few weeks later, after giving the body a bit of a break, I ran in a 10 K race in Rockville Center.  

The 40 minute barrier toppled.  I crushed it actually, with a 37:28 time, or 2 minutes, 47 seconds better than my previous best, nearly a half minute per mile faster.

A week later, I ran in a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.  Very crowded, hundreds of little kids, so I wanted to get out fast, since I was determined to take down my previous 5 mile best of around 32:00.  It was about as crowded as border retention facilities are these days.  

Anyway, I wanted to set a personal best in the 5 miler, and I did: 29:47, or 5:57 a mile.  

What I did not know, and much to my delight, is they would also have people at the mile markers calling out times.  Intent to stay far ahead of any and all kiddies, I hit the first mile marker in 5:08, and was not even winded.  Made me wonder if I could have done a 4:40 mile if I had set out to only do an all out one miler.

I didn't know how much the marathon training would improve my shorter race personal best times, but the diligent, hard training had clearly paid dividends.

So, back to diligent, hard-working Luis.  

Has the Guillorme hard work regimen provided strong results?

What is his recent body of work, I might ask you, and does that make you feel good about his future?  

Here are the details - you decide:

This spring: 10 for 32, 6 walks, .313 average, .421 OBP.

Last season: 19 for 57, 10 walks, .333 average, .426 OBP.

Combine the 2 and in a little over 100 plate appearances, .325, .424 OBP.

Go further back to his last 29 at bats of 2019, and he was 10 for 29, which is about .340

Have you decided yet?

I have.  

The hard work has most clearly and definitely paid off.

Luis is not a power hitter.  Never will be.

But he sure has hit well and gotten on base when given the opportunity.

Good for him.  I wonder how many talented players lacked his diligence, and never made it.  Luis not only made it to the big leagues - he is (dare I say it) excelling in his God-given talents.

By the way, I still run - several times a day, to the fridge.

I get there fast.  

Love my peanut butter - it is my "personal best".  

Love Luis Guillorme the player as well.

May the hard work continue to pay big dividends in 2021.

Anyone that really watches spring training knows one thing:

It is HARD to make that 26 man roster.

The ultimate success for Luis is making the fine 2021 Mets.

You have to actually be In the big leagues to succeed there.

I expect success.




4 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Guillorme is living and plying in the era of superior shortstops,

He is a GREAT infielder, but his skills are not elite.

Still, he would probably start for at least half of the other teams in the league.

The Mets will keep him as their top infield... utility player.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, every SERIOUS teams vitally needs quality utility players.

Anonymous said...

He's a nice backup player w/ limitations (speed, power) that will forever keep him in that role.

I like him, should carve out a good ML career.

Jimmy

Tom Brennan said...

Luis has lived up to that old jingle: Accentuate the positives, eliminate the negatives.