9/2/21

Ray Savage - SAVAGE VIEWS – Looking Forward

 


SAVAGE VIEWS – Looking Forward

September 2, 2021

When Steve Cohen took ownership of the Mets some pundits suggested it would take five years for the team to compete for a World Series championship.  Mets fans were optimistic thinking we had a solid team heading into 2021 and a wild-card was not out of the question.  Going into the season, it was clear that the Braves were the class of the division.  However, when the Braves suffered major injuries to their pitching staff we saw an opening.  Unfortunately, we did not seize the opportunity.

Dodgers, Braves or Rays

Cohen stated he wanted to emulate the Dodgers.  For the past 30 years I have advocated that we model ourselves after the Braves.  This team is made up of mostly home grown talent.  Their infield of Freedman, Albies, Swanson and Riley may be the best in baseball.  Add Acuna and the Mets fall far short of matching them.

What’s interesting about the Dodgers is the absence of Hispanic players.  Other than Pujos there are none on the roster.  It’s a predominately white team with Betts, Price and Jensen the only Blacks on the team. Again most of the players on the roster have been developed internally.  Give them credit for bringing in rethreads from other team such as Muncy and Turner who have had extraordinary success with them.  No question the Dodgers have more depth than any other team in baseball and have the payroll to back it up.  The Dodgers have not been active in the International Free Agent Market

On the other side of the ledger are the Tampa Bay Rays.  How does a team with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball and the absence of “superstars” continue to not only win but routinely beat teams that appear to be much more talented?  Another team not active in the International Free Agent Market.

WHAT’S THE FIX

One constant of winning programs is having both strong starting and relief pitching.  Lacking on the Mets staff this year was a solid number two following deGrom.  The good news is he is already on the roster.  It is incumbent on the team to bring back Syndergaard.  Make him a QO and let him prove himself worthy of a long term deal.

Trade for what I call a 2A starter.  The rotation needs a lefty.  One name that comes to mind is Blake Snell.  Perhaps a package of Dom Smith, David Peterson and a prospect could entice the Padres to make a deal. There may be other attractive names out there.

I have not made up my mind about Stroman.  I’m concerned about paying big bucks for a number three or four starter.  Carrasco and Walker would round out the top five with Megill operating out of the pen and serving as a spot starter.

The pen has a strong foundation in Diaz, Lugo, May, Loup and Familia and Megill.  There is a need for another lefty and at least one more power arm.  I’m not sold on Castro.

During the 2020 off-season, we identified the Mets as being a predominately left hand hitting team and the need to strengthen the right side of the lineup.  CF, catcher and third were identified as areas of need.  Bringing in Lindor did not address the weakness on the right side and McCann has been a disappointment.  This upcoming off-season these needs must be addressed.  In 2021 we were vulnerable to left hand pitching.

If I were GM, I would build my offense around Alonso, McNeil, Lindor (no choice), Nimmo and Conforto.  I’d hand Baez his walking papers and offer Smith and Davis to the highest bidders.  I think we are stuck with McCann for another year.

NEW MANAGEMENT

 It’s indisputable that the front office needs to be upgraded.  I believe Sandy comes back for another year as the team tries to build a better model.  I don’t have an opinion on Zack Scott other than being upset with giving up PCA to acquire Baez.  I cannot imagine a scenario where Rojas is brought back.  Any way you look at it, major improvements need to be made.

HELP ON THE WAY

I can see Cortes and Mangum making the opening day roster next year with Baty and Vientos not far behind.

Right now the only way for us to compete with the Braves is by having a stronger pitching staff.  Offensively, we are overmatched.

Ray

8 comments:

Mack Ade said...

A very good analysis.

It is no big secret to the writers here on Mack's Mets that Ray and I differ on what we think of Javy Baez.

The Mets need to resign him for at least five years.

I think that he and Lindor bring a level of baseball intelligence, savy, talent, speed, power, and superior defense that WINS GAMES.

I also believe that you will see more of this dynamic duo WIN GAMES in eptember, proving my point.

Past that, I agree for the need of another top starter, but I would definitely go out of my way to re-sign Stroman, regardless of how little concern he has for Mets fans online.

John From Albany said...

Mets needed to trade for starter at deadline. They didn't. Now management will be completely over hauled. There are some good pitchers on the way - some very interesting ones like Josh Walker, Adam Oller and Brian (100 mph) Metoyer that all need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft. Mets need to get front office settled and get to work ASAP.

RDS900 said...

Mack, you and I need to have a serious discussion on retaining Baez. I really don't like his all or nothing approach. I prefer players who consistently put balls in play.

RDS900 said...

It's going to be an interesting off season as we watch Cohen completely overhaul the front office.

Gary Seagren said...

Agree on the Rays point and you would think a savy guy like Cohen would figure it out quickly. I am still in disbelief even after all these years how many times we've had to bring the clown car to Shea or Citi field and Stevie needs to get this s**t corrected right NOW! I've come down a bit after coming off the rails about the thumb incident but I need to see how this teams does this month before rendering my off season assessment but my biggest issue is about the deals made since SC took over given that the two biggest have been disasters and just how he's gonna handle it.

RDS900 said...

Think of 2021as a transition year as it becomes clearer of changes that need to be made.

Paul Articulates said...

Very nice writeup with some very solid suggestions. I agree that you should build the offense around Alonso, Lindor, McNeil, and Nimmo, though I differ on Conforto. As much as he is liked by Mets fans and teammates, Michael has just not put together a complete season at the plate. You can't build offense around streaks and slumps.
I'll take your side on the Baez debate - he has shown too much of a "me against the world" attitude - sometimes directed against other players or teams and most recently the thumbs down debacle. This is not the good side of competitiveness and will eventually alienate teammates.
Hope we get a high price if there's a deal for Dominic Smith. He is a great player with a great attitude and will make some team much better at his natural position at first base.

Remember1969 said...

I agree with Paul..nice piece with good convictions.

I agree with Mack about Baez. I think he stays and plays second base next to Lindor for quite a while.

I agree with Ray about Conforto. I don't know how to keep him, being a Boras guy, but I'd like to see it get done for at least one year. An accepted Qualifying Offer would be the best, but I don't see it happening.

I like the idea of bringing Snell in. Not sure what went wrong with him this year, but if he can be anywhere near his Tampa days, he is a good one.

I have another bigger writeup in process where I express that Syndergaard will be a very difficult tightrope. I am personally unsure what I'd do as a GM.

I think Stroman is a keeper. Durable and good. Try to sign him.

The bullpen..both Loup and Familia are free agent at the end of the year. Need decisions on both. Castro is here to stay unless traded.

Good discussion..there will be more between now and April.